Psychological well-being is about both feeling good and functioning well by developing our mind and body in order to have a sense of purpose for our existence. When we feel good about ourselves, we automatically have positive prospects about life as well as positive relations with others. In its latest report on mental health, ISWAN provides helpful advice on how seafarers can have a better life onboard.
Be happy at sea
Ask yourself ‘What do you love to do?’ and focus on the following:
- Be ambitious – What activities that you love could you do whilst you are at sea?
- Plan ahead – Take the materials with you that you need on your next voyage (games, puzzle books, or a library of DVDs on your hard drive)
- Enhance the effect – Savour the moment when you are involved!
Connect with others
Communal activities are a good way to increase social interaction and can benefit the wellbeing of everyone on board, e.g.:
- Competitions such as group sports or timed exercise events
- Two or multi player computer games
- Social events: karaoke, general knowledge quiz nights and movie nights
- Shared cultural celebrations and religious feasts
- Organise learning programmes or study groups in professional skills, hobbies or perhaps a new language
Become more self-aware
Becoming aware of the reasons we do what we do or what we feel strongly about, can give us a greater sense of fulfilment and wellbeing.
Take a few minutes to think and ask yourself:
- What is the most important thing in your life?
- What are the top five most important things in your life?
- How much priority do you give them?
- Do you give them the time and attention they deserve?
Track your progress
- Think about goals that you can work towards on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis on board
- Break your goals down into achievable steps or actions
- Schedule the time to work on each step or put it into action
- Track and review your progress, note down what you have achieved
If you are not making progress, don’t give up!
Maintain a healthy body
Remain fit and healthy onboard by focusing on three key areas:
- Exercise regularly
- Eat healthily
- Ensure enough rest
Leave a Reply