3D printing of metallic components has significant potential for maritime and offshore industry applications. In this context, the online procurement firm in marine equipment, ShipParts.com, has signed a research collaboration agreement with Singapore’s Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP), and the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) with the aim to prove standards for the certification of metallic components produced by NYP’s Additive Manufacturing Innovation Centre (AMIC) for maritime application.
RMT, UK’s offshore union is calling for urgent action to protect the UK’s energy supply sector from collapse amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The Union highlighted that the oil price wars and the public health at risk could lead the North Sea oil and gas sector to an overall damage, placing tens of thousands of offshore workers out of work, increasing the UK’s reliance on imported fossil fuels.
In light of the current market environment, oil major Shell decided to decline its operating costs by up to $4 billion in 2020 and to cut its capital expenditure from $25 billion to $20 billion.
Oil and gas producer Santos Ltd announced it will cut its full-year spending and defer an investment decision on Barossa as oil prices plunge and the coronavirus outbreak dents business sentiment.
The Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) reported that the offshore wind industry achieved a record of 6.1 GW installations of new capacity in 2019, bringing the overall capacity to 29 GW. It is stated that Europe remained the largest market for offshore wind, holding a 59% stake of new installation, followed by Asia-Pacific region which accounted for the remaining 41%.
The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) announced that MOL Norge completed an oil and gas discovery close to the Balder field in the North Sea – 25/8-19 S and 25/8-19 A. Namely, the wells were drilled 8 kilometers northwest of Ringhorne on the Balder field in the central part of the North Sea and 200 kilometers west of Stavanger.
Although the COVID-19 has already disrupted the shipping industry in several ways, the offshore sector is also feeling the impact of the pandemic, as many offshore companies are experiencing lower prices or COVID-19 cases.
A strange vehicle will be driving on the bottom of the harbor in the western port area of the Port of Rotterdam, on a trial basis. It is the Deep Dig-it, an unmanned trencher of 17 meters long and 138,000 kilos clean on the hook.
Inpex, Japanese oil and gas firm inked memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with PT PLN Persero (PLN) and PT Pupuk Indonesia for the long-term domestic LNG and pipeline natural gas supply from the Abadi LNG project offshore Indonesia.
After the WHO confirmation that COVID-19 is a pandemic, Britain’s oil and gas sector association OGUK announced restrictions on workers traveling to offshore installations.
EU: Guidelines ensuring availability of goods amid COVID-1906/04/2020
EU: Passenger rights legislation amid the COVID-19 outbreak06/04/2020
MSC continues business during COVID-19 pandemic06/04/2020
- Maritime Health
Coral Princess docks at PortMiami with two dead, up to 12 COVID-19 cases onboard06/04/2020
- Maritime Health
Canada restricts regulations on ferries and cruise ships06/04/2020
USCG issues bulletin for vessel response plans amid COVID-1906/04/2020
- Maritime Health
81 positively tested COVID-19 cases onboard Greg Mortimer cruise ship06/04/2020
DNV GL gets ready for decade's short-term challenges06/04/2020
UK MAIB issues its first 2020 Safety Digest06/04/2020
Homicide Squad to investigate Ruby Princess over COVID-19 deaths06/04/2020