All of our emotions are necessary; even if one day you wake up with negative feelings, just allow yourself to accept them. Nonetheless, it’s ok not to feel ok. We are human beings and not robots; as such, we cannot be in exciting mood at all times. Life is like a cardiogram, with its ups and downs.
n that regard, it is vital to give priority to emotional self-care which allows us to ally ourselves with our emotions for the benefit of our health and well-being. In essence, this type of self-care is a way of taking control of who we are. With proper focus on emotional self-care, we can be able to recognize ourselves, feel ourselves, take care of ourselves and dedicate time to our mind and emotions.
Types of meditation that can help
- Deep breathing: Sit or lie down comfortably, slowly count to four while inhaling through your nose. Hold your breath for a second. Slowly count to four while your exhale. Repeat a few times.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Focus on your breath. Notice anything that passes through your awareness without judgement. If your mind starts to tackle your to-do list, just return to focusing on your breath.
- Visualization: Close your eyes, relax and image a peaceful place, like a forest. Engage all your senses; hear the leaves, smell the damp soil, feel the breeze.
- Repeat a mantra: Sit quietly and pick any meaningful or soothing word, phrase or sound. Experts say the repetition creates a physical relaxation responses
- Participate in a meditative form of exercise: Try tai chi or qi gong, which use flowing motions.
8 ways to practice Emotional Self- Care
#1 Embrace every feeling
Acknowledge that there will be bad days as well and focus on actions that will bring your positivity back
#2 Identify your emotional triggers
While we cannot choose what happens to us, we do get to choose how we respond to those challenges
#3 Put your own needs as a priority
Dedicate time to practice activities that boost mood
#4 Acknowledge the power of no
Set and enforce your own boundaries
#5 Say no to toxic people
Protect your energy from others, avoid toxic relationships
#6 Focus on your inner peace
Practice meditation, yoga and any activities that offer you calmness
#7 Start a journal
Use your journal to write down your emotions so you can keep better track of your feelings
#8 Practice self-compassion
With self-compassion, we give ourselves the same kindness and care we’d give to a good friend.