Due to the uncertainty that has been caused by COVID-19, AMSA informed that it is extending the duration of some certificates.
Namely, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has taken steps to effectively extend the duration of AMSA issued:
- Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) certificates
- certificates of safety training and
- certificates of medical fitness
if they would otherwise expire during the period between 26 March and 1 October 2020.
STCW certificates include a certificate of competency, a certificate of proficiency as rating, a GMDSS radio operator certificate, a certificate of safety or a certificate of proficiency as marine cook.
In addition, AMSA has taken a pragmatic approach to seafarer certification. Specifically, it has implemented arrangements that:
- Extend the expiry date of all AMSA issued STCW certificates and associated endorsements, expiring between
26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date noted on the certificate
- Extend the validity of AMSA issued certificates of safety training, expiring between 26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date
- Extend the validity of AMSA issued certificates of medical fitness expiring between 26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date
- Enable owners and masters of ships to permit personnel subject to above, to continue performing duties.
There is no requirement for vessel owners, operators or seafarers to apply to AMSA for the above measures to be used.
The above measures apply to all AMSA issued STCW certificates. However, those seafarers who meet the eligibility requirements for revalidation, and have the ability to make an application before the expiry date of the certificate, are strongly encouraged to apply to revalidate their certificate before it expires.
In addition, when the time comes to revalidate an expired certificate, the new replacement certificate will be issued for a period of five years from the original certificate expiry date.