#1 GMDSS Guide:
The first guide is about the Global Maritime Distress Safety System, which provides summarized guidance and information on GMDSS operations, standards and regulatory references.
Specifically, GMDSS combines systems and sub-systems using both satellite and terrestrial communication systems, in line with the nine functional requirements, which are:
- Shore-to-ship distress alerts
- Ship-to-shore distress alerts
- SAR coordinating communications
- On-scene communications
- Locating signals
- Marine safety information
- General radio communications to and from shore
- Bridge-to-bridge communications
Moreover, the USCG has the authority to inspect, examine: the vessel’s documentation, log entries, maintenance requirements, tests and test procedures to determine the ship’s compliance.
USCG comments that
Although the intended audience is Coast Guard vessel inspectors and Port State Control examiners, the guide may offer insight to industry on GMDSS compliance determinations, applicability, equipment requirements, and more.
To explore more on the GMDSS guide click herebelow
#2 Dynamic Positioning (DP) System guide
This guide aims to inform users on an easy and understandable format by reducing any complexities of DP systems to make it easier to understand.
A DP is a computer-controlled system used to automatically maintain a vessel’s heading and position, without the use of mooring liens and/or anchors.
The DP system consists of three sub-systems:
- Power system: should be reliable and adequate to provide continuous power to the DP control system and to the thruster system;
- Thruster system: it should be arranged in this way so that it is able to provide the vessel with extra maneuverability under all operating conditions. Also, it should be arranged so that the failure of any part of the system should not increase the thrust magnitude or direction.
- DP control system: includes all control components and associated systems, hardware and software necessary to coordinate the rest of the sub-systems.
The DP control system includes:
- Computer system
- Joystick system
- Sensor system
- Control stations and display system
- Position reference system
- Association cabling and cable routing
To learn more on the DP Systems guide see herebelow