These documents are:
- certificates of competency;
- certificates of proficiency;
- endorsements; and
- medical certificates.
This recommendation if the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) came from the 2010 Manila Amendments, Regulation I/2, paragraph 16.
In the summer of 2018, Canada informed the IMO about the establishment of an online system for verifying certificates. This is aligned with our commitment to:
- fully comply with the STCW;
- ensure vessels are staffed and operated by properly trained and certified seafarers;
- discourage unlawful ways of issuing certificates; and
- support Port State control activities.
What you need to know
You can now go online to verify the status of any Canadian-issued:
- certificate of competency;
- certificate of proficiency;
- endorsement; and
- medical certificate.
You will need to complete the following fields on the online system:
- Candidate Document Number (CDN);
- Date of Issue (YYYY-MM-DD); and
- Certificate Name.