Shipowners are required to take all necessary measures to prevent air pollution from their vessels emitting soot or black/dark smoke during their stay in Fujairah waters.
Specifically, Port of Fujairah would also like to draw attention to Notice to mariners 188, which restricts soot blowing in Port of Fujairah and FOAA, as pollution of the air from black smoke emissions from ships is a serious concern.
As informed, failure to comply with this regulation will expose offenders to strict actions.
Emissions of dark smoke could be controlled through:
- Proper and regular maintenance of fuel oil heaters, fuel injectors, scavenge air coolers and turbochargers.
- Frequent washing of exhaust gas economizers, where applicable.
- Changeover fuel from HFO to MDO during stay at port.
- Correct air-fuel mixture ratio is essential for boilers and inert gas generators to ensure optimum combustion in the furnace to avoid unburnt fuel, and subsequently dark smoke emissions.
- Prudent and vigilant ship’s crew that act with due care and diligence.
Leave a Reply