A recent Safety Flash by the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA), focuses on an incident, in which, a crew member noticed smoke coming from the ROV workshop and reported a fire.
What went right?
here was no panic, and the fire response team was ready at short notice;
- The communications system was used clearly and effectively;
- The training, experience and action of the fire response team, and the crew, prevented further damage that could have significantly exceeded the actual damage, and even jeopardised the ship itself.
What went wrong?
- A rechargeable headset flashlight was left on charge unsupervised, also on a UPS supply.
- The importance of checking the condition of all personal electrical equipment;
- All electrical appliances should be sourced from a reputable supplier and should be in good working condition;
- Plug sockets and extension leads should be used correctly and not overloaded;
- Charger cords for all electronic devices should be in good working condition (with no exposed wiring) prior to being brought offshore, and likewise, sourced from a reputable supplier;
- Charging devices should not be left on surfaces that are potentially flammable or that can promote heat build-up;
- Avoid leaving charging cables or portable electronic devices on bedding;
- Remove electronic devices from chargers and outlets once fully charged;
- Include information about the hazards of charging portable devices during orientations and post relevant signage in living quarters.