The Marine Safety Forum published safety alert describing a rescue boat davit failure during the boat’s periodic launch and testing. There were no injuries as a result of the incident, which was attributed to the good practice of lowering the rescue boat unmanned.
IMCA shared lessons learned from a serious injury onboard, after a service engineer fell off a radar antenna. The incident highlighted issues related to poor communication, weak safety culture and insufficient job preparation.
In its latest Safety Flashes, IMCA analyzed a mooring line incident which caused collision between a barge and a tugboat. Although, there was no damage as a result, IMCA stressed incorrect mooring technique and pulling angle as a key safety issue.
In its latest Safety Flashes, IMCA presented a case of water ingress which caused a crew boat to list, while in its first voyage after drydocking. IMCA noted there was no post-drydock maintenance inspection or dedicated testing to ensure that everything done in drydock was done properly.
The International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) announced that it is promoting ways of reducing carbon emissions in the marine environment as part of its strategic theme of environmental sustainability. As IMCA said, the contribution of battery technologies in cutting carbon emissions is now having a positive effect in the offshore marine construction market.
IMCA presents an accident onboard a vessel, when one crewmember suffered a hairline fracture to his hand when trying to stop a mooring line. In general, mooring operations have caused many accidents in the industry; Mooring handling hides many dangers as this duty requires a good technique initially in lifting the heavy eye of the rope, followed by a good pulling technique.
In light of IMCA’s Safety Flash, a service engineer was seriously injured after falling off a radar antenna; The casualty took place when two service engineers were on a vessel to install an electronics board in a radar antenna.
During the operation of burning sludge in the vessel incinerator, the temperature of the exhaust gas temperature alarm was higher than the usual; This resulted to a fire. There were no injuries but there was some damage to the equipment in the incinerator room.
IMCA shares the lessons learned when an overheated and swollen lead acid battery was found onboard the vessel, highlighting that it is important to periodically inspect and maintain all the batteries used.
IMCA discusses an accident when a fire dust cap was blown off by pressure from the line and hit the wall 10 metres away. The pressured dust cap although caused a small fraction to the wall, it didn’t injure any of the crewmembers.
US approves Rio Grande LNG export facility in Brownsville22/11/2019
Nigeria government revolution22/11/2019
Partners present ultrasound as an alternative to pulling keel bolts22/11/2019
NYK develops a condition-based maintenance system for autonomous vessels22/11/2019
- Cyber Security
Norway to fund NYK and Dualog cyber-risk management system22/11/2019
Captain dies after fire breaks out on board carrier off Brazil22/11/2019
Fuel requirements when transmitting through Panama Canal, amid sulphur cap22/11/2019
Woodmac: Asia Pacific excluding China to add 19GW offshore wind by 203022/11/2019
- Cyber Security
ICTSI implements new port cyber security technology22/11/2019
Vopak to operate new facility in Texas22/11/2019