Hapag-Lloyd has published its Sustainability Report 2022, outlining the various measures which were taken in 2022 to move towards a more sustainable future.
he shipping and container transportation company’s report highlights Hapag-Lloyd’s commitment to clean shipping and environmental protection, as well as its numerous aid campaigns carried out with employees worldwide.
Extended management with focus on sustainable fuels and more efficient ships
- In 2022, 24 ships ran on advanced biofuel blend, of which more than 120,000 tons were purchased to provide customers with more sustainable transportation options, thus collectively reducing their environmental footprint. To further reduce emissions, an extensive modernisation program for its existing fleet has started, involving more than 150 vessels during the next five years. The installation of flow-optimised bulbous bows, drag-reducing underwater paints and newly shaped ship propellers will increase the fleet’s efficiency and reduce fuel consumption with the first ship already upgraded in September 2022.
- They wish to make our products greener and work towards the goal of creating more sustainable transport options.
Their sustainability strategy comprises three areas of focus:
1.Clean Shipping and Future-proof Propulsion
2. Diversity and Society
3. Compliance and Responsibility
Decarbonizing offices and giving back to society
- Hapag-Lloyd is consistently exploring further decarbonisation opportunities. So-called internal Green Teams are working on further reducing energy consumption and emissions in the worldwide offices, thereby aiming at raising awareness of sustainable activities among employees.
- Living up to its corporate citizenship culture, the carrier aims to set a positive example by supporting and initiating various aid and relief projects, such as the expanded aid program for refugees and victims of the war in Ukraine, as well as the participation of many colleagues from around the world in ocean and environmental protection initiatives, such as Coastal Cleanup Day.
- Hapag-Lloyd’s Sustainability Report 2022 demonstrates the company’s impactful transformation approach and sends a clear signal across the industry – in line with this year’s report theme: ”Making a difference in the future of shipping”.