The oil leak was primarily seen by the observation of oil on the sea surface alongside the North Sea platform.
Early assumptions report that the oil came from one of the cells in Statfjord A’s concrete gravity base structure, with about 40-80 cubic meters of oil being released, according to Statfjord operator Equinor. Yet, the discharge was rapidly stopped.
Therefore, PSA Norway launched an investigation aiming to
- review in detail and clarify the course of events
- identify and describe the actual and potential consequences of the incident
- establish the direct and underly causes
- clarify responsibilities
- apply necessary enforcement powers to correct possible breaches of the regulations
- make the results of its investigation public
- contribute to experience transfer and learn lessons for other players in the petroleum industry.