Following the increased incidents of piracy and armed attacks at high seas, the Panama Maritime Authority as well as the Republic of Marshal Islands Maritime Administrator, have issued advisories to protect and inform crews.
Best Management Practices must be reviewed and implemented by all the parties involved prior to entering high-risk areas. The implementation of BMP must include, but is not limited to the following:anama Maritime Authority advises that the use of
- Conduct trainings / drills with the crew;
- Watch keeping and Enhanced Vigilance;
- Effective use of monitoring and/or surveillance equipment;
- Maneuvering practice;
- Alarm or Alerts systems to demonstrate awareness to any potential attacker;
- Use of deck lighting and illumination to demonstrate awareness to any potential attacker;
- Denial of use of ship’s tools and equipment, and protection of equipment stored on the upper deck;
- Control of Access to Bridge, Accommodation and Machinery Spaces and Physical barriers;
- Other equipment used for self-defense;
- Safe-Muster Points and Citadels, if determined appropriate.
- Submit vessel movements and transit plans to MSCHOA and all other organizations in the area before, during and after transiting High Risk Area.
The RMI Maritime Administrator reminds all vessels transiting the Singapore Strait to adopt the following basic protective measures, as advised by IFC Singapore:
- Maintain an all-around lookout from an elevated position, with a focus on suspicious small craft(s) approaching or in proximity of the ship’s aft.
- Turn on weather deck lighting around the accommodation block and rear-facing lighting on the poop deck.
- Sound the ship’s alarm when suspicious small craft(s) are sighted.
- The IFC also encourages ships to provide photographic or video evidence to educate the industry on the modus operandi of the perpetrators and help the authorities with their investigation.
High Risk Areas according to Panama Maritime Administration
#1 S.E. Asia and the Indian Subcontinent
- Indonesia: Belawan, Dumai, Karimun Kecil/Besar, Pulau Nipah, Pulau Takong Kecil, Jakarta /Tanjung Priok, Muara Berau, Pulau Bintan, Batam, Taboneo and Tanjung Butan.
- Malacca Strait
- Malaysia: Tanjung Piai, Bandar Penawar and Johor.
- Philippines: Celebes Sea, off Sibutu passage, off Sibutu Island, Tawi Tawi, Sulu Sea, off EasternSabah, Manila and Batangas.
- Singapore Straits
- South China Sea: Off Tioman, Off Pulau Aur, Off Anambas, Natuna, Mangkai Islands, Subi Besar, Merundung areas.
- Vietnam: Vung Tau, Southern Vietnam.
- Bangladesh: Chittagong, kutubdia and Chittagong Anchorage.
- India: Kandla, Kochi, Visakhapatnam and East of Alang
#2 Africa and Red Sea
- Somalia waters–Eastern and Northeastern Coast.
Guinea: Gulf of Guinea, Conakry
Gulf of Aden
Dem. Rep. of Congo
Ivory Coast: Abidjan, Conakry and Sierra Leone
Mozambique: Mocinboa Da Praia
Nigeria: Lagos, Bayelsa, Brass, Off Brass, Bonny Island, Port Harcurt
- Red Sea
The Congo: Pointe Noire, Off Point and Northern Somali Coast in the Gulf of Aden andSouthern Red Sea in the Bab El Mandeb.
Togo: Lome, Off Lome
Sao Tome and Principe: Sao Tome Island
#3 South, Central America and the Caribbean Waters
- Colombia: Cartagena
- Haiti: Port Au Prince, Lafiteau Jamaica
- Venezuela: Puerto Jose, Puerto La Cruz
- Brazil: Macapa and Sau Francisco Do Sul Guyana.
- Peru: Callao Anchorage
- Dominican Republic Ports
- Ecuador: Guayaquil
- Mexico: Gulf of Mexico, Gulf of Campeche, Tabasco, Puerto Dos Bocas