The developer, CenterPoint Properties, started preparation and ground stabilization work on its 27-acre site during the last nine months and is actively participating in the construction of the 460,000 square-foot facility. Its completion is expected in mid-2020.
CenterPoint’s $52 million project would establish a logistics campus planned for 180 acres at the decommissioned Oakland Army Base. CenterPoint will build, then manage the first building at the campus. The Port inherited the property 15 years ago and has been planning for its use since then.
What is more, CenterPoint plans to lease the building to tenants taking part in cargo transportation or logistics.
Commenting on the project, Port of Oakland Maritime Director John Driscoll, stated:
We’ve waited a long time to reach this point, but now our future is in view. CenterPoint’s facility will give us logistics capability you can’t find at other ports
The Port aspires to create a campus where containerized cargo will be quickly transferred from ships to trucks or rail. It is expected to increase the volume of international shipments moving through Oakland.
The Seaport Logistics Complex, located in the heart of the Port, just off Maritime Street, near Oakland’s Outer Harbor, is being developed right next to the Port's 3'year'old, $100 million rail yard.
CenterPoint said the project would provide sustainable and economic benefits including:
- Tenant priority for local and disadvantaged hiring;
- Eliminating truck trips resulting in reduced waste and construction traffic;
- Implementing measures to enhance future warehouse working life and safety such as enhanced indoor air quality;
- Allowance for rooftop solar panels;
- Using environmentally sustainable construction materials and methodologies.