The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI), in collaboration with Tototheo Maritime and MarineFields, has launched the ADAPTATION project, an innovative initiative aimed at revolutionizing the shipping industry by reducing port berthing wait times and improving the efficiency of maritime logistics operations.
The ADAPTATION project aims to reduce waiting times for incoming traffic at ports through intelligent data acquisition processing and decision support tools. Reduction of ship waiting time has manifold benefits in the maritime industry, such as an increase in the efficiency of maritime logistic operations, for transporting people and goods through land, sea, and shoreline. The goal of the project is to develop a platform for monitoring and prediction to provide decision support for Smart Ports and optimize just-in-time solutions.
- Identifying the system technology and business requirements through stakeholder engagement.
- Developing the connectivity and data acquisition for ship and port.
- Developing ship tracking and port operation models.
- Developing the decision support platform for ship and port process optimisation.
- Validating the pilot scenarios through expert stakeholder engagement and citizen living labs.
- The ADAPTATION project has a direct positive impact on sustainable transport, fuel consumption, and emissions. Therefore, the results of this project will contribute to the Green Transition.
The ADAPTATION project provides a decision support mechanism for smart ports, optimising just-in-time solutions, and directly impacting sustainable transport, fuel consumption, and emissions. The initiative is a significant step towards a greener future for the shipping industry and demonstrates a strong commitment to sustainability by the project consortium.
Role of CMMI
The role of CMMI as the host organization is to undertake the overall coordination of the project and ensure its timely, high-quality, and successful delivery, including in its technical development, demonstration, dissemination and communication and commercialization aspects, while satisfying the reporting and performance indicators set by RIF. Moreover, CMMI will develop models for estimation and prediction related to the motion of ships and port operations.
The project CODEVELOP-GT/0322/0096 (ADAPTATION) is funded by the European Union’s NextGenerationEU program, through the Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation, and officially commenced on 1st February 2023. The project kick-off meeting was held at the CMMI Limassol liaison office.
Leave a Reply