The Hong Kong Marine Department (MARDEP) issued an advisory on the new circular issued by Ningbo China MSA on precautions when navigating in fishing areas in Ningbo-Zhoushan port.
o remind, Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan in Zhejiang Province of China is one of the busiest cargo ports in the world. The Ningbo coastal route is situated next to the East China Sea fishing zone.
As a result, ocean-going cargo ships trading along the coast of Zhejiang are expected to encounter heavy activities characterized by fishing vessels of various sizes especially during the fishing seasons.
Therefore, special attention shall be paid to the following advices to prevent collisions when sailing in the above-mentioned area:
- Owners should ensure ship masters are familiar with the latest appended advisory (2021) prepared by Ningbo China MSA.
- precautions should be taken when navigating through areas of large number of fishing vessels.
- additional lookouts with maintaining safe speed should be considered.
- visual observation and radar observation should be fully made, despite relying on navigation equipment.
- care should be taken to keep clear of vessels engaged in fishing.
- ship masters should stand by, render aid and immediately report the casualty to the local MSA authority and this Administration upon collision.