Specifically, because of its likely use and location, the Ministry supports that the port discovered dates back more than 3,000 years.

The port's location is on the river's east bank about 600 feet from the Gebel el-Silsila (Gebel Silsileh) quarry complex, which supplied sandstone for temple construction projects along the Nile.

Abdel Moneim Saeed, the ministry's director general for the Aswan area, addressed that the quarry's stone has been found at well-known ruins like Karnak, Habu, Kom Ombo and Dendera.

Its use dates back as far as the Eighteenth Dynasty of Ancient Egypt, which ruled from about 1550-1292 BC.

Credit: Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities