SAFETY4SEA is pleased to announce the distinguished shortlisted nominees for the 2023 SMART4SEA Awards, following an online nomination process, initiated a few months ago, where industry stakeholders proposed nominations.
he aim of the awards is to recognize those organizations that demonstrated outstanding performance within the scope of fostering maritime digitalization and smart shipping.
The online voting process has started at https://events.safety4sea.com/2023-smart4sea-virtual-awards/ where participants can cast their votes online up to 13th of January, 2023. The winners will be the ones attracted the most online votes and the results will be announced at a dedicated special virtual event on Wednesday, 22nd of February 2023.
Nominations shortlisted for the 2023 SMART4SEA Awards include the following organisations per category:
SMART4SEA E-Navigation Award
- Innovez One has been nominated for its marineM platform that uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help ports of all sizes become smart ports and tackle some of the most pressing challenges they face today, from unprecedented congestion to the need to reduce emissions and improve sustainability.
- NAVTOR has been nominated for its new Auto-Routeing Module in NavStation that can generate a smart route suggestion in seconds, between two positions. This quickly provides an overview of distance and duration and can be used as a foundation for further detailed route planning.
- Sea Machines has been nominated for its SM300 system, an autonomous self-piloting system that is always-on-watch and enables off-boat remote command. The SM300 provides operational domain awareness, telemetry and attitude to a remote commander via a chart-based user interface, tracked targets, video and warnings.
- STAG MARINE has been nominated for its unique project named “I lookout “. This is a Remote Marine Surveillance product which monitors the cameras fitted on the Ships Navigation Bridge, Engine Room, Cargo Control Room and other locations, improving the safety culture and cost-effective management.
- UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) has been nominated for its decision to withdraw from global paper chart production by late 2026 to increase focus on its digital navigation products and services. UKHO is currently developing viable, official digital alternatives for sectors still using paper chart products.
SMART4SEA Connectivity Award
- Airbus Defence and Space has been nominated for its OneSat that revolutions the telecoms satellite market as it opens a new world of possibilities. OneSat can be fully reconfigured while in orbit – and it is capable of adjusting its coverage area, capacity and frequency “on the fly” to meet evolving mission scenarios.
- KVH Industries has been nominated for its TracNet™ terminals which introduce a new standard for connectivity for all types of vessels worldwide. The TracNet H30, H60, and H90 terminals feature satellite, cellular, and Wi-Fi technology under one dome, with automatic switching based on availability, cost, and quality of data connection.
- Marlink has been nominated for its new low latency Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite services. This wave of satellite disruptors promises to radically alter the user experience for ships and their crews, providing much higher data rates and easier access, new additional bandwidth and lower latency.
- PSA Marine has been nominated for unveiling its OHS-Sapphire, a first-of-its-kind digital solution that provides shipmasters with real-time alerts of delivery information, as part of its ONEHANDSHAKE™ platform, when their vessels are alongside Singapore terminals
- Telenor Satellite has been nominated for introducing a new XipLink™ WAN optimiser service, that further enhances their Anker Managed Service offering. The new service improves Quality of Experience when accessing the internet at sea and is ideal for clients in the maritime who require higher bandwidths and always-on connectivity
SMART4SEA Energy Efficiency Award
- Blue Visby has been nominated for providing a solution that can help reduce a voyage’s emissions by 15% on average. The solution is underpinned by state-of-the-art algorithms that enables vessels to slow down, cut their fuel and emissions consumption and reduce unnecessary waiting times outside ports.
- Nautilus Labs has been nominated for its Boil-off Gas Optimization, a Voyage Optimization solution specifically created for the LNG segment that outputs recommended shaft power/shaft speed and the optimal mix of gas to reliquefy and gas to burn in the Gas Combustion Unit (GCU).
- PortXchange has been nominated for working on a project, along with BigMile, that provides ports with a holistic view of emissions from port-related sources so they can map their current footprint and make well-informed decisions about which strategies will yield the highest environmental benefits.
- V.Group has been nominated for investing in energy efficiency in shipping. The company has recently introduced the Fleet Decarbonization Optimizer (FDO) in partnership with McKinsey and the Maersk McKinney Moller Center; a machine learning algorithm determining the most cost-optimal way to decarbonize a fleet.
- ZeroNorth has been nominated for unveiling a new fuel model, which uses a combination of AI and naval architecture knowledge to predict the expected operational fuel consumption of any type of vessel in the global fleet. It uses machine learning technology to learn from the vast amount of data held within the ZeroNorth platform.
SMART4SEA Cyber Security Award
- Astaara has been nominated for offering dedicated cyber-risk management solutions for the maritime industry. Since launching SMS Cyber Review, its first cyber-risk management product, in October 2020, the company provides expertise to maritime organisations looking to shore up their cyber defences.
- CyberOwl has been nominated for its Medulla, a maritime cyber risk monitoring solution that helps fleet operators know what they have onboard, keep it secure and prove they have secured it. Shipping operators gain insight and instructions on next steps in plain English, without the need for skilled in-house cybersecurity experts.
- CYDOME has been nominated for offering a wide range of advanced cybersecurity solutions designed to fend off maritime cybercrime onboard and offshore. Cydome’s solutions embody all specific requirements from main standards and regulations and integrate an automated compliance tool to comply with all requirements.
- DSLAB Company has been nominated for offering a cyber threat intelligence system for the maritime industry. The product, which is being developed with DSME and supported by Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries in South Korea, collects and analyzes cyber threat data on ship attack surfaces and supply chains.
- Marlink has been nominated for unveiling the Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) cyber solution which offers additional functionality and features. Designed around behaviour-based detection, EDR provides a solution that can detect data abnormalities associated with sophisticated cyber-attacks.
SMART4SEA Training Award
- Mintra has been nominated for its learning and competence management system, Trainingportal which delivers over 2,300 courses to more than 1.6 million workers worldwide. Trainingportal Offline ensures that training and competency activities can continue onboard vessels in areas of poor connectivity.
- NAPA has been nominated for its NAPA Stability eLearning course, a cloud-based training solution, that is available anytime and anywhere. The solution requires no hardware installation, upgrades or maintenance costs which presents an accessible and cost-efficient training solution for cruise operators.
- NSB Academy has been nominated for its Decarbonization E-learning Program, a unique training program that contributes towards maritime decarbonization and the transition of seafarers, focusing on the triangle: Situational Awareness – Human Interactions – Reflective Learning.
- OneLearn Global has been nominated for introducing the Seafarer Evaluation App, an all-in-one digital evaluation solution enabling organizations to generate reports that summarise candidates’ competencies, produce certificates for each seafarer and gain a comprehensive view of the knowledge base of the workforce, all in a single online location.
- Seably AB has been nominated for providing a DNV approved digital training platform for the maritime industry that seeks to drive innovation through a unique and rapidly expanding marketplace with crew performance at its heart. The company also offers the Seably app making learning experiences widely accessible to seafarers.
SMART4SEA Technology Award
- Alpha Ori Technologies has been nominated for its Digital Solutions SMARTShip, SMARTVoyager and ShipPalm that harness the power of Data collected through Internet of Things, moving & making it usable via Cloud and applying Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence to it.
- Consilium Safety Group has been nominated for its ‘Early Action’ mobile and intelligent fire warning service. Potential alarms are detected early since a warning is sent out to mobile phones with information about where the danger is. Mobility also increases the chances of further time savings if an user is close to the source of the alert.
- Oceanic has been nominated for its NERIS, an on-board assistant that provides a comprehensive catering and provisions management solution. The solution supports the Catering Crew in managing daily procedures and improving their performance, while improving quality of life on-board, with sustainability in mind.
- Seafair has been nominated for providing a crewing platform that introduces newer technologies and powerful AI & data processing to provide the maritime industry with a seamless digital manning service and robust crew management software, enabling crewing departments to become operationally efficient.
- Sperry Marine has been nominated for its NAVIPILOT 4500N that delivers control performance, minimising unwanted rudder motion and lowering drag, thereby saving fuel and contributing to greater efficiency. The solution adjusts rudder control for the individual squat, trim and load of a particular vessel and voyage.
SMART4SEA Personality & Leadership Awards
There are no nominees shortlisted for this Award. After consideration and review of a list of “Editor’s Pick” nominees, the SAFETY4SEA Team will announce the winners during the awards presentation. These are special category awards for any individual person that provided industry leadership and contributed towards greener shipping throughout his/her career.