On board Malaysian Flag Vessels – ClassNK TEC 0876
With reference to the periodical inspection and maintenance of fire-fighting systems and portable fire extinguishers on board Malaysian flag vessels, the flag requirements have been informed by ClassNK Technical Information No.TEC-0631 dated 14 June 2005. The Malaysian Government has notified ClassNK of the amended requirements as follows.
This ClassNK Technical Information supersedes the previous ClassNK Technical Information No.TEC-0631.
1. Periodical inspection and maintenance of fire-extinguishing system (General)
(1) All types of permanently installed fire-fighting systems, all types of portable fire extinguishers and breathing apparatus air cylinders must be subjected to periodical inspection and maintenance every year, by authorized service agent or related Malaysian government agency.
(2) The attending surveyor may require, if any deficiencies are found as the results of a periodical inspection, certain containers to be, also, tested hydrostatically.
(3) Hydrostatic testing is also required after repair.
(4) Where the loss of content exceeds 10% for CO2 and 5% for Halon, the container must be recharged.
2. Fixed gas fire-extinguishing systems
(1) The quantity of medium in containers must be inspected every 12 months.
(2) Periodic hydrostatic testing of high-pressure containers must be carried out for not less than 10% of the containers during each 10 years period or 100% of the containers after reach 20 years from the date of manufacture.
(3) The test pressure shall not be less than 25 N/mm2 for CO2 containers and 1.5 times of the working pressure for Halon containers.
3. Fixed foam extinguishing system
Foam sample analysis shall be carried out after a period of 3 years of date manufacture and thereafter every year at authorized service agent or manufacturer’s laboratory. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, occasional foam sample analysis may be requested at the discretion of the attending surveyor during the safety equipment survey.
For more information, click here.