Specifically, HGE splits the rig counts into
- North America.
Mainly, the International offshore rig count for December 2018 was 234, increased by 28 from the November's 2018 206 and up 43 from the 191 counted in December 2017.
Focusing on regions:
- Latin America lost one offshore rig during December 2018, which totaled 27 rigs, in comparison to the November count but earned one compared to December 2017.
- Europe, the offshore rig count for December was 38, an increase both sequentially and year-over-year.
- Africa had 15 offshore rigs in December 2018 which is one rig less from November 2018 but five rigs more compared to December 2017.
- Middle East, on December 2018 rig count amounted to 56 units, up six rigs from November 2018 and up 14 rigs from December 2018.
- Asia Pacific region's offshore rig counted in December 2018 was 98, up 13 rigs from November of the same year, and up 15 units from December 2017.
- North American region gained two rigs in December 2018, totaling 26 units, compared to the November count and gained six units compared to December 2017.