The projects include:
- A reconfiguration and expansion of the Centerm container terminal
- A new overpass on Centennial Road to remove road and rail conflicts
- Changes to Waterfront Road to create a continuous port road from Canada Place to McGill Street
- The removal of the Heatley Road overpass
- Coordination with other tenant and port road maintenance on port lands
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority completed extensive environmental and technical studies to inform the implementation of construction, and conducted three rounds of public consultation.
The improvements are expected to increase capacity at Centerm to support Canada’s growing trade demand for goods shipped in containers, while providing a continuous port road from Canada Place to Highway 1.
In addition, the upgrade will reduce travel delays for port users and businesses by building an overpass over two rail crossings and removing one rail crossing on port roads, while reducing port-related traffic on local roads in the Downtown East Side and East Vancouver.