I. Ship Management
ISPS II --> Owner, if new owner since last ISPS exam
- 5 Points: Owner, operator, or charterer associated with one ISPS related denial of entry or ISPS related expulsion from port in the past 12 months, or 2 or more ISPS/MTSA control actions in a twelve month period
II. Flag State
ISPS II --> If new flag since last ISPS exam
- 7 Points: SOLAS Vessels* Flag State has a CAR 2 or more times the overall CAR average for all flag States
- 2 Points: SOLAS Vessels* Flag State has a CAR between the overall CAR average and up to 2 times overall CAR average for all flag States
- 7 Points: Non-SOLAS Vessels** Flag State has a CAR 2 or more times the overall CAR average for all flag States
*Pertains solely to Flag Administrations with more than one major control action in a 12 month period
**Pertains solely to Flag Administrations with more than one major control action in a 12 month period and includes vessels from non-SOLAS signatory countries and non-SOLAS vessels from signatory countries.
III. Recognized Security Organization
ISPS I --> 3 or more RSO related major control actions in the past twelve months
- 5 Points: 2 RSO related major control actions in the past twelve months
- 2 Points: 1 RSO related major control action in the past twelve months
IV. Security Compliance History
ISPS I--> Vessel with an ISPS related denial of entry/expulsion from port in past 12 months***
ISPS II--> If matrix score does not result in ISPS I priority & no ISPS compliance exam within the past 12 months
- 5 points: Vessel with an ISPS/MTSA related detention in the past twelve months
- 2 points: Vessel with 1 or more other ISPS/MTSA control actions in the past twelve months****
***COTP or OCMI may downgrade a vessel’s priority from ISPS I to ISPS II, or ISPS II to ISPS III depending upon circumstances surrounding a denial of entry. If denial of entry is solely from failure to provide a Notice of Arrival prior to entry into the US, assign 2 points.
****Includes vessel delays, restriction of operations, and restriction of movement related to vessel security deficiencies. Does not include routine examination of the ship or lesser administrative actions.
Total Targeting Score
- Vessels that score 17 points or higher are ISPS I vessels examined at sea prior to entering port.
- Vessels that score between 7-16 points are ISPS II vessels are examined in port.
- Vessels scoring fewer than 7 points are ISPS III vessels usually not subject to examination unless selected randomly.