This notice of proposed rulemaking would implement into USCG regulations legislation that has been codified in statute, and may potentially increase the number of merchant mariners available for employment on commercial vessels.
When evaluating whether there is a need for recent sea service for the renewal of an MMC with a national officer endorsement, consideration should be given to the professional requirements an applicant must meet for the renewal of any MMC that are provided under 46 CFR 10.227(e).
Under this section, applicants must meet one of the following professional requirements for renewal of an MMC:
- Present evidence of 1 year of sea service within the previous 5 years;
- Pass a comprehensive open book exercise;
- Complete an approved refresher training course;
- Provide evidence of closely related service for at least 3 years in the previous 5 years; or
- Provide evidence of employment as a qualified instructor having taught two classes in the last 5 years in course work that is relevant to the credential sought.