According to the register, the criteria has been widened beyond the current areas of the UK and Europe to include Commonwealth countries and bring the UK in line with our Red Ensign Group partners.
Bob Sanguinetti, CEO of the UK Chamber of Shipping, welcomed the decision, highlighting that
The UK flag stands as a beacon of quality – from safety to employment conditions to environmental standards – and I’m pleased that the UK Ship Register is being proactive and ambitious as it seeks as greater slice of the pie in a competitive global market place. We encourage shipowners to look at the UK flag with fresh eyes.
To be able to apply for a new registration, you must meet and declare your eligibility to join the UK Ship Register, based on the requirements below:
- UK citizen
- British dependant territories citizen
- British overseas citizen
- company incorporated in one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries
- citizen of a EU member state exercising your rights under articles 48 or 52 of the EU Treaty in the UK
- company incorporated in any British overseas possession which has its principal place of business in the UK or those possessions
- company in an European Economic Interest Grouping (EEIG)
- Commonwealth citizens
- citizens listed in Schedule 6
- non-United Kingdom nationals who are settled in the United Kingdom
- bodies corporate incorporated in a Commonwealth state
- bodies corporate incorporated in a country listed in Schedule 6
Additionally, if none of the qualified owners are resident in the UK, a representative must be appointed who is either of the following:
- an individual resident in the UK
- a company incorporated in one of the EEA countries with a place of business in the UK
In light of this decision, the director of the UK Ship Register, Richard Parkes commented
This change will now allow the UK flag to attract first class ships and owners who have their company based outside of the UK. They too will be able to benefit from exceptional service and a global reputation.
Concluding, the advantages coming from this expansion, concerning the members that are to participate, are 24/7 dedicated account managers, (for those eligible) the Enhanced Authorisation Scheme which allows all survey/audits to be delegated to one of our approved Recognised Organisations and flexible package fee options for registration, inspection and certification, designed to suit customer needs and the demands of worldwide shipping.