Firstly, the UK published a contingency plan providing information concerning the repatriation and joining of seafarers from vessels.
Specifically, the areas affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the strategy implementation by countries affected by it is constantly evolving.
Many Governments have now introduced national and local restrictions including:
- Delayed port clearance;
- Prevention of crew or passengers from embarking or disembarking (preventing shore leave and crew changes);
- Prevention of discharging or loading cargo or stores, or taking on fuel, water, food and supplies; and
- Imposition of quarantine or refusal of port entry to ships (in extreme cases).
You may learn more about the contingency plan herebelow
Concerning the foundation degrees, UK MCA adds that
Deck and engineer officers can study in areas of marine operation and marine engineering. Study programmes include studying for the officer of the watch (OOW) seafarer qualification.
Higher National Diploma (HND) or Higher National Certificate (HNC) certificates
HND and HNC qualifications lead to a UK Certificate of Competency (CoC). Those issued by Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) and Edexel must be completed in an MCA approved training centre if they are being used towards gaining a CoC.
MCA-approved training centres deliver STCW short/ancillary training courses such as:
- advanced fire fighting
- ship security officer training
- specialised tanker training