A bight is a long, gradual bend or recess in the shoreline that forms a large, open bay. Bights are shallow and may pose hazards to navigation, so their depths, in addition to any submerged features like sand bars and rock formations, are clearly marked on nautical charts.
The US National Ocean Service under the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provided a short overview of what are called Totten Beacons, one of the first aids to navigation which provided safe navigation through the reefs in 19th century.
This winter was the wettest on record for the US, especially after a steady march of snow and rain storms across the country between December 2018 and the end of February 2019, according to data provided by US NOAA. The wet weather last month also made February 2019 the second wettest February on record.
NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey presented plans to alter the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) maintained channel depth values on raster nautical chart products, which include paper nautical charts and the corresponding digital raster navigational charts. Minimum depths (also called controlling depths) are collected during periodic USACE sonar surveys of channels.
The 2018 Atlantic hurricane season officially concluded on 30 November and will be remembered most for hurricanes Florence and Michael, which caused significant damage in the southeastern US. In total, the season produced 15 named storms, including eight hurricanes of which two were ‘major’. An average season has 12 named storms, six hurricanes, and three major hurricanes.
The US National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, NOAA and partners announced $28.9 million in new grants for the restoration or expansion of natural features, such as coastal marshes and wetlands, oyster and coral reefs, coastal rivers and barrier islands, that help minimize the impacts of storms and other extreme events on nearby communities and infrastructure in 22 states and Puerto Rico.
Following predictions ahead hurricane season in May, NOAA now informed that conditions in the ocean and the atmosphere are conspiring to produce a less active Atlantic hurricane season than initially predicted. However NOAA and FEMA are still raising caution as the season enters its peak months.
As the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season begins, the US Coast Guard issued safety tips for the public and mariners, urging them to be prepared for the unexpected. The season runs from 1 June to 30 November, with the peak occurring between mid-August and late October.
In view of the upcoming 2018 Atlantic hurricane season, extending from June 1 to November 30, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center issued its annual outlook, predicting a 35% chance of an above-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season, and a 25% chance of a below-normal season.
The Committee on the US Marine Transportation System issued the Maritime Transportation Extreme Weather Task Force report, providing recommendations and identified opportunities for improving industry response and policies in case of extreme weather events and preventing marine casualties from heavy weather.
- Maritime Knowledge
Security Measures: Putting the ISPS Code into practice25/06/2019
UK signs 10-year offshore project to boost domestic offshore wind market24/06/2019
Switzerland calls Nigeria to free detained vessel and crew24/06/2019
China scraps list of recommended battery suppliers, opens up market24/06/2019
Watch: ISWAN's regional director once captured by Somali pirates24/06/2019
Vitol constructs oil refinery in Malaysia to meet low-sulphur fuel demand24/06/2019
Chabahar port sees 100% rise in non-oil exports24/06/2019
- Maritime Software
BC Ferries to implement electronic logbook at its fleet24/06/2019
Gasnor to supply Hurtigruten's vessels with LNG until 203024/06/2019
AMSA publishes decision on regulating vessels for 'Airbnb style activities'24/06/2019