A bight is a long, gradual bend or recess in the shoreline that forms a large, open bay. Bights are shallow and may pose hazards to navigation, so their depths, in addition to any submerged features like sand bars and rock formations, are clearly marked on nautical charts.
NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting ]a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season this year. This outlook expects a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. The hurricane season officially extends from June 1 to November 30.
NOAA’s High Seas Forecasts are weather forecasts and data transmitted around the world in real- and near-real-time. These forecasts are aiming to make navigation safer, especially considering the fact that for centuries not much could be done to make shipping safe, because of weather unpredictability.
In the past and for centuries, sailors used the constellations, sun, and moon to navigate to distant shores. Today, all that’s needed is a device called a GPS receiver. GPS stands for Global Positioning System, and it lets us know where we are and where we are going anywhere on Earth.
What can be described as ‘doldrum’? According to NOAA’s National Ocean Service, ‘doldrums’ is a belt around the Earth that extends about five degrees north and south of the equator. In this area, the prevailing trade winds of the northern hemisphere blow to the southwest. This leads them to collide with the southern hemisphere’s driving northeast trade winds.
The US National Ocean Service under the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provided a short overview of what are called Totten Beacons, one of the first aids to navigation which provided safe navigation through the reefs in 19th century.
This winter was the wettest on record for the US, especially after a steady march of snow and rain storms across the country between December 2018 and the end of February 2019, according to data provided by US NOAA. The wet weather last month also made February 2019 the second wettest February on record.
The US Coast Guard and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration terminated the voyage of the 83-foot commercial fishing vessel ‘Lady Kristie’, with three people aboard Thursday, after discovering multiple violations near Tortugas Ecological Reserve. Fishing in an ecological reserve violates NOAA regulations.
NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey presented plans to alter the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) maintained channel depth values on raster nautical chart products, which include paper nautical charts and the corresponding digital raster navigational charts. Minimum depths (also called controlling depths) are collected during periodic USACE sonar surveys of channels.
Adopting a formal alcohol policy in ports is vital15/06/2019
Lessons Learned: Do not load cargoes excluded from the IMSBC Code15/06/2019
More microplastics are hidden in the ocean than the surface15/06/2019
Port of Amsterdam: Completion work progresses for new lock gates14/06/2019
Accidents related to ISM Code failures: What we have learned so far14/06/2019
CSA 2020 welcomes study's results on scrubber wash water14/06/2019
Meeting expected oil demand growth will not be a problem, IEA says14/06/2019
Porthos project seeks to close cooperation agreements14/06/2019
Norway: New rules for passenger ships in Svalbard14/06/2019
Sailing vessel aground off Magic Island, minor oil spill detected14/06/2019