In light of the ongoing tensions between the US and Iran following the two tanker attacks in Strait of Hormuz earlier in June, the United Arab Emirates said on Wednesday that clear and convincing evidence was needed in order to determine which state is to blame for the attacks.
The Indian Ministry of Defence announced that the Indian Navy deployed two vessels in the Gulf of Oman to secure Indian flagged vessels, following the recent attack on two tankers in the region. The Ministry issued a statement noting that in addition to deploying the two vessels, Chennai and Sunayna, 'aerial surveillance by IN aircraft is also being undertaken in the area.'
Amid a growing tension between the US and Iran in the light of the two tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman last week, Iranian forces now have reportedly shut down a US military surveillance drone while flying over the Strait of Hormuz.
Following the two tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman last week, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) issued a ship security advisory recommending operators of all RMI-flagged vessels transiting this area to circulate it to their ships 'by the most expeditious means possible'.
On Thursday, June 13, the US Navy released a footage claiming that Iran was the one responsible for the attacks against the two tankers in the Gulf of Oman. US Officials commented that the limpet mine used on a Japanese-owned oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz looks similar with other Iranian mines.
The two oil tankers, that became subject of two subsequent attacks on Thursday while transiting the Gulf of Oman, are being assessed off the coast of the United Arab Emirates before their cargoes are unloaded, the ships’ operators said on Sunday.
Following the attacks against two tankers in the Gulf of Oman, the US Secretary of State, Michael R. Pompeo, provided interviews commenting that the US is considering a military response after the attack, with the goal of protecting the area and the vessels operating there.