Tag: environmental protection

Filter By:


52 NGOs call EU leaders to protect the ocean

52 non-governmental organisations sent a letter to EU leaders asking them to lead their nations towards the protection of ocean, and the reduction of CO2 emissions, following today's launch of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC), The open letter is addressed towards Ursula von der Leyen, President-elect of the European Commission; Charles Michel, President-elect of the European Council; David Sassoli, President of the European Parliament. The letter focuses on the ocean's important role in human and planet health; It buffers us against the worst impacts of climate breakdown, generates the oxygen we breathe, and provides sustenance and livelihoods for people across the world. The ocean protects and provides for us all… The letter urges European leaders to: End overfishing and illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing. All EU Institutions and member states must implement and enforce in full the Common Fisheries Policy, specifically the deadline to end overfishing by 2020. Put in place a robust High Seas Treaty by the end of 2020. Protect at least 30% of the ocean through implemented, highly and fully Protected Areas by the end of 2030, with the remaining 70% of the ocean ...

Read more

Global Maritime Forum: Breaking down the silos to promote collaboration

While the voting procedure for the 2019 SAFETY4SEA Awards is open, Johannah Christensen, Managing Director, Head of Projects & Programmes, Global Maritime Forum, says that in the next years, strategic focus of the Global Maritime Forum – which has been shortlisted for the Sustainability Award - will be on how to make global seaborne trade safer, cleaner, more inclusive and efficient.

Read more

Clean Arctic Alliance calls for ban of HFO use in Iceland’s waters

In light of Iceland's Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources decision, which bans the use of fuel oil with more than 0.1% sulphur content for ships operating in its territorial waters, Dr Sian Prior, Lead Advisor to the Clean Arctic Alliance, highlighted that the Alliance although supports this decision, they are in favour of generally banning HFO use and carriage as fuel.

Read more
Page 4 of 9 1 3 4 5 9