SAFETY4SEA is pleased to announce the distinguished shortlisted nominees for the 2024 SMART4SEA Awards, following an online nomination process, initiated a few months ago, where industry stakeholders proposed nominations.
he aim of the awards is to recognize those organizations that demonstrated outstanding performance within the scope of fostering maritime digitalization and smart shipping.
The online voting process has started at https://events.safety4sea.com/2024-smart4sea-virtual-awards/ where participants can cast their votes online up to 12th of January, 2024. The winners will be the ones attracted the most online votes and the results will be announced at a dedicated special virtual event on Wednesday, 28th of February 2024.
Nominations shortlisted for the 2024 SMART4SEA Awards include the following organizations per category:
SMART4SEA E-Navigation Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant achievement, breakthrough or contribution in any aspect of e-navigation in shipping.
- Avikus Co., Ltd. has been nominated for its HiNAS (Hyundai intelligent Navigation Assistant System), approved by DNV, which is a system that employs artificial intelligence (AI) and augmented reality (AR) to integrate data from different navigation tools. This technology enables ships to autonomously avoid collisions while maintaining optimal routes and speeds.
- BOGERD MARTIN has been nominated for cooperating with Chart Track to connect ship & shore with two flag-ship products (CT-secure 460 and CTsuite) with the aim to deliver seamless data exchange for safe and efficient navigation. The company ensures that vessels receive critical navigational data where and when they need ensuring a safe voyage every time.
- Kpler has been nominated for pioneering in e-navigation, providing access to all vital maritime data and analytics. The company provides unrivaled ship tracking capabilities, leveraging MarineTraffic AIS with stations along the coast, in the ocean, and in space, boasting over 6,200 AIS receivers.
- UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) has been nominated for its ongoing innovation and support for digital navigation products and services.
- Weathernews Inc. has been nominated for facilitating e-navigation with weather intelligence, forecasting, route optimization, emission monitoring, performance monitoring, and more. Recently, the company with Dataloy to provide unique weather integration for Smarter Voyage Management.
SMART4SEA Connectivity Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant achievement, breakthrough or contribution with respect to ship connectivity.
- Ardmore Shipping has been nominated for its “Ardmore Crew’s Got Talent” program that aims to foster connectivity among crew members. This is an inter-vessel competition with the goal of showcasing essential talents, encouraging the crew to engage in recreational and team-building activities.
- Bazeport has been nominated for launching a special digital content service for the deep-sea commercial shipping market that effectively optimizes prevalent technologies. The company is dedicated to enhancing crew welfare and the social engagement of seafarers by providing a powerful digital entertainment and information technology service.
- Columbia Group has been nominated for enhancing connectivity onboard with the adoption of Starlink in conjunction with a SD WAN (Software defined wide area network) in order to combine proven satellite internet technology as well as cellular 5G near shore connectivity.
- Inmarsat has been nominated for its ‘Fleet Reach’ which is a coastal LTE service bringing reliable high-speed broadband to merchant, offshore energy, and fishing. Optimised by Inmarsat’s Fleet Xpress VSAT solution, Fleet Reach provides a supercharged coastal connection.
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL)/Marlink have been nominated for investigating the potential impact of Low Earth Orbit internet solutions on recruitment, retention and welfare of crews onboard. Marlink collaborated with MOL to help them understand how a high throughout, low latency internet service could be used onboard.
- Seafair has been nominated for offering a network that supports the continuous, real-time information flow, enabling each party to access critical data 24/7 with 100% scalable rights, tailored to their unique role within the maritime ecosystem, ensuring that all stakeholders, from the bridge to the shore are connected.
SMART4SEA Energy Efficiency Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant achievement, breakthrough or contribution in any aspect of energy efficiency in shipping.
- ABS Wavesight has been nominated for streamlining voyage planning and facilitating voyage reporting through its ‘Nautical Systems Voyage Manager’. This service offers operational and energy efficiency aboard the ship for voyage reporting, environmental compliance reporting, charter party compliance and vessel performance analysis.
- Ascenz Marorka has been nominated for its ‘Vessel Performance Optimization Platform’ which provides detailed analytics, performance evaluation, hull & propeller monitoring, machinery optimization, accurate and automated analysis of voyage execution, recommending the best speed for transit periods.
- AYRO has been nominated for its AYRO OceanWings® which is revolutionary rigid wingsail system that enables fuel and greenhouse gas emissions reductions of up to 50% on new and existing ships. OceanWings® are automated, with only minimal human oversight required.
- NAPA has been nominated for participating in a joint simulation project that validated and quantified the fuel savings and emissions reductions potential of combining wind propulsion systems with weather routing. Other participants were: Norsepower and Sumitomo Heavy Industries Marine & Engineering (SHI-ME).
- ZeroNorth has been nominated for its Vessel Optimisation service which is multi-service platform that harnesses data to generate advanced insights on how to reduce fuel consumption via speed, route and weather optimisation, and reduce and monitor emissions to support sustainability goals.
SMART4SEA Cyber Security Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant achievement, breakthrough or contribution in any aspect of Cyber Security in shipping.
- CyberOwl has been nominated for helping ship operators gain visibility, cybersecurity and cyber compliance of their onboard systems. In that regard, the company offers ‘Medulla’ maritime cyber risk monitoring solution and runs one of the world’s largest dedicated maritime cybersecurity conferences – Cybersecure at Sea.
- Marlink has been nominated for its ‘CyberGuard UTM’ solution using a ‘Firewall as a Service’ model, which enables customers to seize the digital trend while maximizing the protection of their IT and OT assets against cyber security threats. The company also operates its own Maritime Security Operations Centre (SOC).
- NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences has been nominated for its ‘Maritime Cyber Attack Database (MCAD)’, that offers a complete overview of cyber security threats worldwide, providing guidance not just on responding to cyber-attacks but also on proactive measures to enhance preparedness.
- Norwegian Shipowners’ Association has been nominated for its ‘Norwegian Maritime Cyber Resilience Centre’ which provides a wide selection of cyber security services for its members including intelligence, security operations and crisis response.
- Red Sky Alliance has been nominated for its vital Vessel Impersonation Reports, revealing spoofed vessel names in emails carrying malware. These reports help safeguard maritime companies and prevent the spread of malware across the transportation supply chain.
SMART4SEA Training Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant achievement, breakthrough or contribution in any aspect of Training with respect to smart shipping.
- Mintra has been nominated for its new digital learning solution with Kongsberg digital simulators, that integrates interactive digital learning with practical simulation skills. The first training module focuses on the operations of vessel engine rooms. Further courses will expand into cargo and navigation training in due course.
- NSB Academy has been nominated for its Decarbonization E-learning Program, a unique training program that contributes towards maritime decarbonization and the transition of seafarers, focusing on the triangle: Situational Awareness – Human Interactions – Reflective Learning.
- OneLearn Global has been nominated for offering an eLearning Diversity course to raise awareness and inspire greater understanding of the cultural differences generated among a globally diversified workforce. The highly interactive Diversity course enables participants to apply the concepts of diversity and inclusion.
- VSTEP Simulation has been nominated for leading the way to simulation and virtual solutions, introducing also the first Inland Navigation Center built in accordance with CESNI requirements. VSTEP simulators enable quality skills training in an efficient, cost-effective and sustainable way.
- Wärtsilä Land and Sea Academy has been nominated for offering blended training to enhance student-centric training and prepare crews for industry’s challenges. It involves combining web-based, virtual, simulation, practical, and on-the-job training for equipment operation, maintenance, and safety protocols
SMART4SEA Technology Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a milestone technological achievement or breakthrough or significant contribution in any aspect of smart maritime activity.
- Danelec has been nominated for its ‘’Danelec Connect’’ platform. From daily reports, in-depth historical analysis, and emission reporting, to ROI-focused performance benchmarks, Danelec Connect equips maritime stakeholders with unparalleled actionable insights.
- OneLink has been nominated for its ‘’OneLink platform’’ which incorporates the latest digital tools such as using AR/VR to create digital twins and applying machine learning to solve performance issues by predicting hull and engine health.
- Sedna has been nominated for its data-driven communication platform specifically designed to transform the shipping and supply chain industry. By effectively managing complexity, it streamlines processes and enhances efficiency, facilitating decision making.
- Shipnext has been nominated for offering a a digital shipping platform, that uses natural language processing, machine learning, and AI for freight search, email and data processing, trade, and automation of workflow. It allows turning all unstructured data into meaningful data-flows and gives a powerful tool to maritime stakeholders.
- Veson Nautical has been nominated for its ‘Veson IMOS Platform (VIP)’’ which is an integrated maritime operations system that delivers a comprehensive suite of connected solutions that can be adapted to any operator’s unique workflow bringing efficiency and data- driven connections.
SMART4SEA Personality & Leadership Awards
There are no nominees shortlisted for this Award. After consideration and review of a list of “Editor’s Pick” nominees, the SAFETY4SEA Team will announce the winners during the awards presentation. These are special category awards for any individual person that provided industry leadership and contributed towards greener shipping throughout his/her career.