SAFETY4SEA is pleased to announce the distinguished shortlisted nominees for the 2021 SMART4SEA Awards, following an online nomination process, initiated a few months ahead of the event, where industry stakeholders proposed nominations. The aim of the awards is to recognize those organizations that demonstrated outstanding performance within the scope of fostering maritime digitalization and smart shipping.
The online voting process has started at https://events.safety4sea.com/2021-smart4sea-virtual-awards/ where participants can cast their votes online up to 15th of January, 2021. The winners will be the ones attracted the most online votes and the results will be announced during the 2021 SMART4SEA Virtual Forum.
Nominations shortlisted for the 2021 SMART4SEA Awards include the following organisations per category:
SMART4SEA E-Navigation Award
- KILO Solutions Ltd. has been nominated for its ‘VASCO’ which provides a virtual reality system to support the safe understanding of navigation for seafarers without the requirement to travel to land based simulators to carry out port studies and navigation of difficult areas.
- Northsouth Maritime Co Ltd has been nominated for outstanding performance and best in class example for a Dry Cargo operator with a seamless transition and implementation of e-navigation. The company has fully implemented all ECDIS and e-navigation requirements and market best practices with an impeccable record with respect to e-navigation defects and incidents.
- NOVELTIS has been nominated for its ‘enovOcean’, a user-friendly-high-precision professional tool for marine weather forecast. This e-platform provides a worldwide vision of the weather and marine risks evolution, and it makes it much easier fot the user to understand his/her own local situation.
- ONE SEA – Autonomous Maritime Ecosystem has been nominated for driving for an autonomous maritime system by 2025. This business alliance gathers together leading marine experts and is a strategic combination of top research, state-of-the-art information technology and business.
- PortXchange has been nominated for providing digital solutions that support the shipping industry in reducing its carbon footprint. Its innovative digital platform connects port communities worldwide to streamline their operations and reduce emissions from the maritime logistics chain. PortXchange has been implemented in the ports of Felixstowe, Moerdijk, Algeciras, and Houston.
SMART4SEA Connectivity Award
- Danelec Marine A/S has been nominated for its ‘DanelecConnet and Vessel Remote Server (VRS)’ which provide advanced data utilisation functionalities on shore and transparency to enable more accurate decision making for operational optimisation and asset management.
- Inmarsat has been nominated for initiating the ‘Open Innovation Challenge’, a unique competition staged with Shell Shipping and Trading and digital consultancy Thetius to identify and support a truly impactful digital solution benefiting crew welfare.
- StratumFive Ltd has been nominated for its ‘Podium’ which is shipping’s first truly collaborative digital workspace that breaks new ground, unlocking market’s digital revolution by seamlessly connecting applications, data, and people, across the maritime community.
- Thome Group has been nominated for providing the infrastructure and systems to ensure connectivity of ship/shore during the pandemic and implementing a best in class example regarding implementation of innovative measures such as fleet wide virtual training, smart planning, virtual platforms enhancement, remote performance monitoring.
- Wärtsilä has been nominated for its ‘Navi-Port’, the first commercially available ship-to-port product that enables dynamically optimised port approach and terminal berthing. It is the first communication platform that has applied the port call message standard as defined by the STM validation project.
SMART4SEA Energy Efficiency Award
- Marorka has been nominated for providing effective solutions of performance management for speed optimization and fuel efficiency. The company offers recommended measures for improving energy efficiency in navigation, fuel management, propulsion, trim, hull and machinery.
- V.Group has been nominated for its ‘ShipSure’, a performance analysis platform which ensures all risks to a vessel are fully understood to allow V.Group’s offices to meet the very highest standards as top quartile operators. It provides real-time, data driven insights used to strengthen fleet performance.
- Wärtsilä has been nominated for ‘Fleet Operations Solution (FOS)’. Anglo-Eastern has partnered with Wärtsilä Voyage to digitalise its fleet operations using Wärtsilä FOS. The technology supports full voyage planning and execution, engine performance and fuel efficiency monitoring.
- WinGD (Winterthur Gas & Diesel) has been nominated for the launch of ‘Intelligent Control by Exhaust Recycling (iCER)’. This is the first development to be introduced as part of X-DF2.0, WinGD’s second-generation dual-fuel engine platform with the aim to slash methane emissions and cut fuel consumption
- ZeroNorth has been nominated for its ‘Optimise’ which aims to help tramp shipping operators with voyage optimization, to maximize TCE and earnings and cut CO2. The organization, which is an independent spin-off of Maersk Tankers, supports the transformation of the industry through digitalisation.
SMART4SEA Cyber Security Award
- CyberOwl has been nominated for its ‘Medulla’ which helps operators gain visibility of the cyber risk of the assets across their whole fleet. It provides early warning of cyber attacks and facilitates investigation and triaging of the cyber incidents. The reporting system simplifies compliance with IMO 2021 and NIS Directive by evidencing the effectiveness of cyber controls.
- Korean Register has been nominated for issuing the world’s first Cyber Security (CS Ready) class notation for a very large LPG carrier to HHI. KR granted the notation after completing successful document and field inspections, which included Kongsberg Maritime’s ship alarm and monitoring system (AMS) and Hyundai Global Service’s Integrated Smart ship Solution (ISS).
- Marlink has been nominated for its ‘Cyber Detection’ service which scans network traffic for any targeted threats that may put operations at risk. All outbound and inbound network traffic is monitored and customers can view threats affecting their vessels through a web-based Cyber Dashboard.
- Phish & Ships Maritime Cyber Newsletter issued by Be Cyber Aware at Sea has been nominated for offering free monthly maritime cyber security updates with a global readership of over 40,000 each month, used by shipowners, managers, crews and shoreside staff as a monthly awareness tool.
- V.Group has been nominated for building a cyber safety culture. Cyber security is integral to operational safety at V.Group. Over the last 18 months, the organisation has launched a number of initiatives to ensure all colleagues understand the importance of cyber security and their critical individual role in creating a human firewall.
SMART4SEA Training Award
- KILO Solutions Ltd. has been nominated for developing ‘VASCO’ which is a fully immersive VR training environment, that optimises the latest in wireless technologies in order to take simulator training into a more affordable, scalable and flexible delivery environment.
- SEABLY has been nominated for providing a training platform for shipping companies which provides very good guidance on setting up the training. The training can be shared with colleagues and customers before approval. The approval process by the Seably provide unique guidance on improvements, helping providers and mariners have the highest quality on the courses.
- Thome Group has been nominated for its training system which is based on continuous professional development and meets both regulatory and safety requirements, providing well-trained seafarers. Thome’s training process includes: navigation simulator upgrade, training in four global regions, investment in training facilities and trainings during Covid-19.
- University of Plymouth has been nominated for launching the ‘Cyber-SHIP Lab’ which unites a host of connected maritime systems currently found on an actual ship’s bridge with the aim to enable researchers to enhance global shipping security and provide training for those in the sector.
- Wärtsilä has been nominated for its ‘Wärtsilä Cloud Simulation’ which overcomes COVID-19 restrictions to support seafarer training. The new solution has allowed instructors to deliver training courses to student-seafarers studying at any remote location. Feedback from schools indicates a more far-reaching change in attitude toward seafarer training.
SMART4SEA Technology Award
- Airbus has been nominated for its ‘STYRIS®’ which is a product with the aim to enforce border integrity. It is dedicated to maritime surveillance and traffic monitoring, aimed at improving the safety of navigation as well as enhancing global security of the maritime domain.
- ClassNK has been nominated for initiating a new certification service, called ‘Innovation Endorsement’ to foster and realize innovative technology related to ships, product/solutions, and providers. Under this concept, ClassNK introduced a new class notation, ‘Digital Smart Ship (DSS)’ at the end of August 2020.
- ERMA FIRST ESK Engineering Solutions S.A. has been nominated for providing real-time monitoring and intelligent data analysis on the cloud for the first Smart BWT System. AI emulates the thinking process of an expert engineer and is able to generate crucial KPIs, valuable insights, customized reports and real-time alerts about critical events.
- ST Engineering has been nominated for its ‘Maritime Anti-Piracy System (MAPS)’ software which is designed to protect seafarers and merchant ships against heightened crimes like piracy, hijacking and terrorism. It employs round-the-clock smart mobility tracking and in-depth behavioural analysis to provide early warning against suspicious vessels.
SMART4SEA Personality & Leadership Awards
There are no nominees shortlisted for this Award. After consideration and review of a list of “Editor’s Pick” nominees, the SAFETY4SEA Team will announce the winners during the awards presentation. These are special category awards for any individual person that provided industry leadership and contributed towards greener shipping throughout his/her career.