SAFETY4SEA is pleased to announce the distinguished shortlisted nominees for the 2023 GREEN4SEA Awards, following an online nomination process, initiated a few months ahead, where industry stakeholders proposed nominations. The aim of the awards is to recognize those organizations that demonstrated outstanding performance within the scope of fostering green and sustainable shipping.
The online voting process has started at https://events.safety4sea.com/2023-green4sea-virtual-awards/ where participants can cast their votes online up to 3rd of March, 2023. The winners will be the ones attracted the most online votes and the results will be announced at a dedicated special event on Wednesday, 19th of April 2023.
GREEN4SEA Sustainability Award
To be awarded to any organization that promoted an ESG agenda and contributed towards sustainable shipping
- ABS has been nominated for focusing on sustainability practices for the maritime community. ABS has established five sustainability centers globally and develops new tools and services to help shipowners decarbonize their fleet. For example, ABS has recently launched a new sustainability reporting and assurance service.
- ERMA FIRST has been nominated for adopting an ESG strategy, focusing on a wide-ranging corporate social responsibility (CSR) policy. Among many initiatives, ERMA FIRST has unveiled a mural in central Athens to promote maritime sustainability and raise awareness of environmental issues within the local community.
- Lloyd’s Register Maritime Decarbonization Hub has been nominated for providing the leadership and collaboration needed to shape safe and sustainable pathways to the decarbonization of the shipping industry. In essence, the Hub demonstrates costs, benefits, opportunities and risks of potential pathways to decarbonize.
- Odfjell SE has been nominated for focusing on climate risk, addressing how this would affect business, people and impact the fleet. In 2021, Odfjell linked their climate targets to financing by issuing the world’s first sustainability-linked bond in our industry, and all new mortgaged loans have since been sustainability-linked.
- Sustainable Shipping Initiative (SSI) has been nominated for its overall contribution to sustainability. Key initiatives include: developing a Roadmap to a sustainable shipping industry; Delivering on seafarers’ rights; Exploring shipping’s transition to a circular industry and a pioneering work on Sustainable biofuels for shipping.
GREEN4SEA Clean Shipping Award
To be awarded to any organization that contributed towards cleaner shipping
- Maritime Battery Forum has been nominated for promoting the use of marine batteries, serving as a platform to exchange knowledge based on experience from the usage of batteries. It provides updates on the developments in technology and the technical and economic aspects of battery technology on ships and offshore installations.
- Methanol Institute (MI) has been nominated for promoting the use of methanol as an alternative marine fuel. MI serves as the trade association for the global methanol industry and represents methanol producers, distributors and technology leaders across the globe.
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority has been nominated for its ECHO Program, which aims to understand and reduce the impacts of commercial shipping on at-risk whale. The program coordinates one of the world’s largest voluntary efforts to reduce underwater noise from ships, while advancing research and education on the effects of underwater noise.
- Winterthur Gas & Diesel (WinGD) has been nominated for integrating WinGD’s LNG dual-fuel engines, battery-hybrid technologies and its new proprietary energy management system on four new Pure Car and Truck Carriers being built for NYK Line. This will be the first delivery for WinGD X-EL Energy Management, with a two-stroke engine designer leading hybrid integration for the first time.
- Yara Clean Ammonia has been nominated for working towards making carbon-free food production to capture growth opportunities in emission-free fuel for shipping and power, carbon-free food production and ammonia for industrial applications. Yara Clean Ammonia is supported by 17 production units, operates 11 ships and 18 ammonia terminals across the world.
GREEN4SEA Initiative Award
To be awarded to any organization or association that sparked, realised, or significantly contributed with a specific initiative towards greener shipping
- Blue Visby Solution has been nominated for its efforts to eradicate the ‘’Sail Fast, Then Wait” (SFTW) operational practice. It combines technology with long-established maritime traditions of cost-sharing, collaboration and mutuality, encouraging ships to reduce speed, thereby reducing industry’s carbon footprint.
- Clean Energy Marine Hubs (CEM-Hubs) has been nominated for providing a public-private platform with the aim to de-risk investments in future clean fuels. This is a joint initiative by the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS), International Association of Ports and Harbors (IAPH) and the Clean Energy Maritime Taskforce.
- Maritime Just Transition Task Force has been nominated for creating a framework underpinned by social dialogue and stakeholder engagement. The initiative, formed during COP26 by ICS, ITF, ILO and IMO, aims to ensure that shipping’s response to the climate emergency puts seafarers and communities at the heart of the solution.
- Port of Rotterdam has been nominated for making mandatory the use of a bunker measuring system, such as a Mass Flow Meter, on board bunker vessels to measure the exact amount of fuel delivered to sea-going vessels. This measure aims to make the ARA (Amsterdam, Rotterdam & Antwerp) bunker market more transparent, efficient and reliable.
- Poseidon Principles for Marine Insurance has been nominated for providing a global framework for assessing and disclosing the climate alignment of insurers’ hull and machinery portfolios. They establish a common, global baseline to quantitatively assess and disclose the climate alignment of insurance, enabling the insurance sector to improve transparency.
GREEN4SEA Technology Award
To be awarded to any organization that provided a significant technological achievement or breakthrough or significant contribution in any aspect of environmental maritime activity
- Armada Technologies has been nominated for its ‘passive air lubrication system’ or PALS that brings to market a ‘next generation’ process in the production of the bubbles needed for hull air lubrication. The Armada PALS has a unique design which allows for greater system control over the water and air whether in shallow draft, deep draft, high speed or slow speed.
- DeepSea has been nominated for its flagship solution ‘Performance Routing’ which is the world’s first weather routing technology tailored to the exact performance of a vessel. The platform combines meteorological information with extremely accurate vessel behaviour models, generated by artificial intelligence (AI).
- GTT (Gaztransport et Technigaz) has been nominated for its Sloshing Virtual Sensor which advances the prediction of sloshing activity at sea in favor of efficient voyage management. The tool estimates two main characteristics, the sloshing frequency and the sloshing pressure, which can be derived to define a sloshing intensity.
- I-Tech AB has been nominated for its unique biotechnology, Selektope, which is an organic, non-lethal, metal-free active agent that is added to marine antifouling paints to prevent barnacles from settling on coated surfaces by temporarily activating the swimming behaviour of barnacle larvae.
- Nautilus Labs has been nominated for its Voyage Optimization solution that increases profits and drives maritime decarbonization. The solution leverages best-in-class machine learning technologies combined with change management programmes to enable owners and operators to reach commercial goals, manage CII, and stay within charter party parameters.
- WE Tech Solutions Oy has been nominated for supplying solutions based on variable frequency drives, permanent magnet generator technology, energy storage and energy management systems. These solutions, suitable for new buildings and for retrofits, bring numerous benefits to the shipping industry worldwide.
GREEN4SEA Tanker Operator Award
To be awarded to any ship operator of oil or chemical tankers or gas carriers that demonstrated environmental excellence and performance above average in any aspect of maritime activity
- Almi Tankers has been nominated for focusing on sustainable practices. Among other initiatives, Almi Tankers is a founding member of the World Ocean Council, a longstanding member of HELMEPA and a loyal supporter of Synenosis (the Greek Shipowners’ Social Welfare Company).
- Dorian LPG has been nominated for putting ESG issues on top of its agenda. Recently, the company announced a new partner agreement with the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping to meet and exceed industry’ decarbonization target.
- Exmar has been nominated for paving the way for reducing maritime emissions with their recent partnership with Nutrien. The two companies will jointly develop and build a low-carbon, ammonia-fueled vessel up to 2025, to align with IMO’s 2050 goals, and support maritime decarbonization.
- Hafnia, member of BW Group, has been nominated for putting ESG Strategy and Climate Governance at the heart of their strategy. In 2022, the company launched their climate strategy, introduced a dedicated ESG team and developed an ESG agenda to monitor latest developments, introducing ESG measures into their performance culture.
- Proman Stena Bulk has been nominated for its commitment to unlocking a more sustainable maritime sector in the immediate term by driving the uptake of methanol as a marine fuel. Recently, the company took delivery of its fourth methanol-fuelled tanker, Stena Prosperous.
- Synergy Group has been nominated for its overall contribution to sustainable shipping and maritime decarbonization. Among many initiatives, the company is one of the signatories to the Call to Action for Shipping Decarbonization and has received ISO 50001:2018, putting energy efficiency as key priority.
GREEN4SEA Dry Bulk Operator Award
To be awarded to any ship operator of bulk carriers or general dry cargo vessels that demonstrated environmental excellence and performance above average in any aspect of maritime activity
- Eagle Bulk Shipping has been nominated for supporting ESG initiatives. In 2020, the company issued its first-ever ESG Sustainability Report in order to help inform stakeholders of the company’s performance on ESG, providing an overview of Eagle’s strategic priorities in the sustainability agenda.
- Ionic Bulk Carriers (MGT) Inc. has been nominated for committing to service excellence with “tanker-management standards” applied to the vessels throughout the organization, its continuous efforts to provide value added maritime transportation solutions to its end-users with green footprint.
- M/MARITIME has been nominated for offering top quality sea transportation services, maintaining at the same time a pro-active approach in meeting the strict environmental requirements. Recently, the company installed on M/V OLYMPIA GR, the first EEXI ShaPoLi solution, manufactured by VAF Instrument to comply with IMO EEXI.
- Norbulk Shipping has been nominated for committing to green shipping practices for sustainable operations. For example, the company has been recognized for applying efficient fuel, technology and environmental management practices, demonstrating high environmental responsibility.
- Wallem Group has been nominated for showcasing environmental consciousness, committing to sustainable operations with proper training. Wallem always ensures that before boarding a vessel to commence work, a Wallem seafarer is briefed on his/ her obligations under the MARPOL Convention and Wallem’s zero tolerance policy.
GREEM4SEA Personality & Leadership Awards
There are no nominees shortlisted for this Award. After consideration and review of a list of “Editor’s Pick” nominees, the SAFETY4SEA Team will announce the winners during the awards presentation. These are special category awards for any individual person that provided industry leadership and contributed towards greener shipping throughout his/her career.
Leave a Reply