The Seafarers International House stated that it is taking part in the campaign to pressure the International Maritime Organization to solve the issue of dangerous ladders and build a safer environment for ship pilots.
It should be reminded that the Sandy Hook ship pilot lost his life when he fell during a boarding of an inbound containership at the Port of New York and New Jersey, on Monday, December 30.
The Dangerous Ladders campaign was launched in September 2019, representing a global initiative to improve the safety of pilot transfer arrangements and in particular the safe rigging of pilot ladders.
A recent report published by IMPA in 2018 concerning a Pilot Ladder Safety survey revealed that:
- Vessels still do not comply with basic standards;
- Many fake ladders are sold to unsuspecting vessels;
- Classification Societies certify non-compliant arrangements;
- Port State Control officers sign off vessels on the basis of certificates without even sighting the ladders;
- Inadequate boarding arrangements are prepared by poorly motivated crews often without officer supervision.