On 18 June, the ReCAAP ISC issued a Warning, followed by an Incident Alert about the abduction of 10 fishermen from two fishing boats by a group of gunmen in the waters of Lahat Datu, Sabah, Malaysia.

On 21 June, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported to the ReCAAP ISC that nine men believed to be the abducted crew were found by the authorities of the Talipao Municipal Police Station at Bgy Kahawa, Talipao, Sulu.

The abducted crew was released by the abductors who could have realised that the abducted crew had no money nor anything to give as ransom.

On 24 June, the abducted crew escorted by police authorities departed Jolo, Sulu for Zamboanga City for a joint debrief by the Philippines authorities.

The Southwestern Mindanao of the PCG interviewed the abducted crew and reported to the ReCAAP ISC that nine of the crew from the two fishing boats (instead of 10 crew as early reported) had been abducted. With the release of the nine crew, there is no crew being held in captivity,

...ReCAAP ISC said.

Two incident in Indonesia

In its report, ReCAAP ISC also informed of one armed robbery and one attempted armed robbery against ships in Asia. The first one was classified as CAT 2 incident and occurred off Kalimantan, Indonesia, while the attempted incident also occurred in Indonesian waters, off Sorong.

The first incident involved the Liberian-flagged bulk carrier 'Odysseas L', while anchored at Taboneo Anchorage, Kalimantan, Indonesia.

While at anchor on the afternoon of 23 May, seven perpetrators armed with knives, boarded the bulk carrier. The duty watchman raised the alarm and the crew mustered.

The perpetrators confronted the crew with their knives and stole ship stores before they escaped.

The incident was reported to Taboneo Port Control and a patrol boat was dispatched to investigate. All seven perpetrators were later arrested.

The second incident involved the sailing boat 'El Toro', while anchored off Pulau Doom, Sorong, Indonesia.

On 22 May at about 2305, the perpetrator in a fishing boat approached the El Toro and attempted to steal the vessel’s dinghy.

When the skipper of El Toro saw the perpetrator, he directed a lamp to him and shouted. The perpetrator released the dinghy and escaped. No crew was injured.