Namely, PORTS can:
- Reduce ship accidents by more than 50%;
- Increase the amount of cargo ships can carry;
- Reduce transit delays for commercial traffic;
- Enhances recreational activities;
- Improves hazardous spill response.
A NOAA analysis estimated as much as a $300 million annual benefit from an expanded PORTS system. Including PortMiami, there are 31 PORTS in the country, supporting 85% of the nation’s cargo by tonnage.
PORTS will provide ship operators with real-time information that can help them better plan their transit and prevent accidents in and around the port.
In Miami, strong currents from the Gulf Stream run perpendicular to the shipping channel. The current meters give vessel pilots real-time data, to make navigation decisions to direct the larger ships into port.