The Port of Beirut is now operating at full capacity, the port’s director said Thursday, less than a month after a devastating explosion that destroyed the port and the surrounding areas.
The Lebanese and French armies are cooperating to remove rubble and sunken vessels from the sea near the port of Beirut, Mr. Bassem al-Kaissi told Lebanon’s National News Agency (NNA). This work will need two weeks to be completed, he said.
This comes in addition to another statement by Mr. Ziad Bekdash, vice-president of the Association of Lebanese Industrialists, who said Thursday that “90%” of Lebanese exports are again passing through the port.
The explosions that rocked Beirut’s port on 4 August killed at least 183 people, while injuring about 6,000.
Around 7,800 tons of rubble has so far been shifted, but it remains in the port, as the Ministry of Environment and the EU are currently conducting a study into how best to handle this landfill, Arab news reported.