All vessels operating in the High Risk Area ought to implement BMP
The Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) has issued the following advisory:
“Possible mother ship activity reported in the vicinity of 09:27N-052:48E, approximately 185NM southwest of Socotra, Yemen. This area will remain high risk for the next 24-48 hours.”
The Maritime Administrator would take this opportunity to again urge all vessels operating in the High Risk Area to actively implement recommended Best Management Practices for anti-piracy measures as follows:
- Prepare the crew (refer to Marshall Islands MG-2-11-12);
- Harden the ship before the ship enters the High Risk Area (HRA);
- When entering the HRA from the direction of either the Suez Canal, the Arabian Gulf at 26N, the south at 15S or from the east at 78E: o Register the ship with the MSCHOA (http://www.mschoa.org /+44 (0) 1923 958545); o Report to the UKMTO ([email protected] / +971 505 523 215); and
- Continue to provide daily reports of ship’s position, course, speed and estimated and actual arrival times to UKMTO while in the HRA.
- Remember, the ship must be registered with the MSCHOA and report to the UKMTO with every intended transit of the HRA;
- Consider participating in the SSRS service (http://ssrs.org);
- Utilize the IRTC in the GoA;
- For low and slow ships, join pre-scheduled military escorted convoys through the GoA;
- Avoid navigating through the Mozambique Channel whenever possible;
- Continue to maintain a heightened state of awareness;
- Maintain strict 24 hour anti-piracy visual and radar watches; and
- Report all attacks and suspicious sightings to the UKMTO, MARLO (+973-3940-1395), COMUSNAVCENT (+973-1785-3879) or IMB Piracy Reporting Centre ([email protected], +603-2031-0014).