ONI - Gulf of Aden
Please be advised that the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) has issued the following advisory:
"A merchant vessel reported coming under fire at 0541Z on 23 August in position of 1308N - 04911E approximately 100NM south of Mukalla, Yemen in the Gulf of Aden. This area will remain at high risk for the next 24-48 hours."
The Maritime Administrator would take this opportunity to again urge all vessels operating in the High Risk Area to actively implement recommended Best Management Practices for anti-piracy measures as follows:
- Prepare the crew (refer to Marshall Islands MG-2-11-12);
- Harden the ship before the ship enters the High Risk Area (HRA);
- When entering the HRA from the direction of either the Suez Canal, the Arabian Gulf at 26N, the south at 15S or from the east at 78E: o Register the ship with the MSCHOA (http://www.mschoa.org /+44 (0) 1923 958545); o Report to the UKMTO (firstname.lastname@example.org / +971 505 523 215); and
- Continue to provide daily reports of ship's position, course, speed and estimated and actual arrival times to UKMTO while in the HRA.
- Remember, the ship must be registered with the MSCHOA and report to the UKMTO with every intended transit of the HRA;
- Consider participating in the SSRS service (http://ssrs.org);
- Utilize the IRTC in the GoA;
- For low and slow ships, join pre-scheduled military escorted convoys through the GoA;
- Avoid navigating through the Mozambique Channel whenever possible;
- Continue to maintain a heightened state of awareness;
- Maintain strict 24 hour anti-piracy visual and radar watches at sea and in port anchorages; and
- Report all attacks and suspicious sightings to the UKMTO, MARLO (+973-3940-1395), COMUSNAVCENT (+973-1785-3879) or IMB Piracy Reporting Centre (email@example.com, +603-2031-0014).