The Club's 'Preparing for the Big Switch' guides have been updated following the clarification on regulation and compliance from the IMO meeting at MEPC 74 and as more information on new very-low sulphur fuel oils (VLSFO) came to light.
The three updated guides analyze each of the most common methods of compliance:
- Burning compliant distillates (such as 0.50% max MGO);
- Burning compliant blended/hybrid VLSFO products;
- Using exhaust gas cleaning systems (scrubbers).
The guides are also designed to help shipowners and charterers make a safe transition to compliance before 1 January 2020 and remove any non-compliant fuel before 1 March 2020.
More specifically, the updates include:
- Looking at some of the key outcomes of MEPC 74 and how it may impact your transition to compliance before 1 January 2020.
- Risks associated with storing, handling and burning new fuels.
- New experiences in tank cleaning.
- Notifying non-compliance.
- Fuel sampling and sulphur testing criteria.
- Guidelines for port State control.
- Charterparty clauses for managing the transition.