Maritime businesses believe that IoT solutions will be able to save them 3% within 12 months, 7% within three years, and 14% by the end of five years.
In order to better understand the IoT readiness of businesses, Inmarsat launched the Inmarsat Research Programme, which is now in its second year. The 2018 research focused on how organisations from the agriculture, energy, maritime, mining and transport sectors adopt the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). In addition, the research focuses on the role of satellite connectivity as an IIoT enabler.
In May 2018 Inmarsat commissioned Vanson Bourne to interview 750 respondents about their use of and attitude to IIoT within their organisation and industry.
Respondents were divided evenly between five target industries - agriculture, energy, maritime, mining, and transport - and a sixth category that included a collection of industries. The last category was included so that Inmarsat could draw conclusions about IIoT within the broader business community.
The geographical mix of respondents, which were sourced from throughout EMEA, the Americas and Asia-Pacific, provided with a global and representative picture of the market.
Using these scores, Inmarsat then divided the respondents into categories indicating their IIoT maturity:
The responses are presented in a personalised report, comparing them with those of the 125 respondents from its industry, so it can see where its organisation ranks.
Regarding maritime, some of the questions regard the following issues:
- How would you describe your organisation’s current status when it comes to deploying IIoT-based solutions?
- How many connected sensors does your organisation have on each ship?
- What changes to security has your organisation made or wants to make to address IIoT security concerns?
- Does your organisation have the skills to leverage IIoT-based solutions?
- How you use the data collected through your organisation’s IIoT-based solutions?
You can see how your organisation is doing in terms of IIoT in Inmarsat's Industrial IoT Readiness Tool.