The 75th session of the IMO’s Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC 75) took place remotely from 16 to 20 November 2020, and some of the amendments will enter into force on 1 April 2022.
ccording to the UK Club, the following amendments are to enter into force in April.
#1 Strengthening of the Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) “phase 3” requirements
This amendment brought forward the entry into effect date of phase 3 from 2025 to 1 April 2022 for several ship types including gas carriers, general cargo ships and LNG carriers.
As such, ships built (with their keels laid) on or after 1 April 2022, must be significantly more energy efficient than the baseline.
#2 New provisions for fuel oil sampling, testing and verification
Amendments to Regulation 14, ‘Sulphur oxides (SOX) and particulate matter’, to require one or more sampling points to be fitted or designated for the purpose of taking representative samples of fuel oil in use, were approved.
Ships built (with their keels laid) on or after 1 April 2022 must have fitted or designated sampling points for taking samples of fuel oil in use.
The 75th session of the IMO’s Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC 75) took place remotely from 16 to 20 November. Among the key points were the approval of amendments to MARPOL Annex VI, with new requirements addressing GHG emissions and the approval of guidelines for onboard fuel sampling.
IMO MEPC 75 highlights
- GHG emissions – The Fourth IMO GHG Study was approved together with the draft amendments to MARPOL Annex VI for the reduction of carbon intensity of existing ships.
- Fuel oil sampling – Adopted amendments to MARPOL Annex VI on fuel oil sampling and verification of sulphur content.
- BWM – Adopted amendments to the BWM Convention on commissioning testing of ballast water management systems (BWMS).
- HFO in Arctic – Approved amendments to MARPOL Annex I, with a prohibition on the use and carriage of HFO for use as fuel by ships in Arctic waters.
- AFS – Approved amendments to the Anti-Fouling System (AFS) Convention to include controls on cybutryne.