These amendments follow resolutions adopted at Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) 74 in May 2019, and are applicable to:
- Oil Record Book, parts I and II
- Cargo Record Book
- Garbage Record Book, parts I and II
- Ozone-depleting Substances Record Book
- Recording of the tier and on/off status of marine diesel engines
- Record of Fuel Oil Changeover; and
- Record Book of Engine Parameters.
An electronic record book used as an alternative to an official hard copy record book is required to be assessed by the Flag Administration following which a written confirmation (Declaration of Marpol Electronic Record Book) will be issued. A copy of this declaration should exist onboard the ship.
In addition, operators should have in mind the importance of proper record keeping to ensure that all logs onboard are accurate and in a timely manner.
Record books are an important document which not only exhibit regulatory compliance but also act as vital evidence in the unfortunate event of an incident. In the Club’s own experience consequences of erroneous or missing entries may include detention of a ship by Port State Control or monetary fines,
...the Shipowners' Club advised.