- 53 bulk carriers over 10,000 dwt have been identified as lost, or on average 5 ships per year.
- 202 crewmembers have lost their lives as consequence, or on average 20 lives lost per year.
- The highest loss of life has been attributed to cargo failure (liquefaction), totaling 101 lives lost or 50.0% of total loss of life resulted from the 9 casualties.
- The most common reported cause of ship losses has been grounding, totaling 22 losses or 41.5 % of total losses.
- Losses due to flooding for 8 ships (15.1%) and 14 lives (6.9%) have been significant.
- Losses of lives resulted from 6 ships lost with unknown causes accounted 61 lives, or 30.2% of total life losses, among them the 2 casualties in 2017 (Stellar Daisy and Emerald Star) causing 32 lives lost.
Casualties of Handysize bulk carriers
Casualties of Handymax bulk carriers
Casualties of Supramax bulk carriers
Casualties of Panamax bulk carriers
Casualties of Capesize bulk carriers
Focusing on the last two years alone, INTERCARGO cited the most common causes in 2016 and 2017 :
- Machinery and technical,
- Main Engine,