Indian crew Hijacked
Indian crew Released
* One Chief Engineer was found dead after attack of pirates.
Steps taken to prevent recurrence of such incidents in future are:
- Guidelines for anti-piracy measures issued through Merchant Shipping Notice No.1 of 2011 dated 14.1.2011 to be implemented by Indian Ships. The guidelines provide for elaborate anti-piracy measures (Best Management Practices), including safe house/citadel for vessels.
- Banning of sailing vessels to ply in waters south or west of the line adjoining Salalah and Male through Merchant Shipping Notice No. 3/2010 dated 31.3.2010.
- Naval escorts provided by Indian naval ships in the Gulf of Aden since 2008 for Indian flag merchant ships.
- Enhanced vigil by the Indian Navy in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and westward up to 65 degree east longitude.
- Active participation of India in the security meetings of the International Maritime Organization, Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS)and other international fora.
Source: Ministry of Shipping