The incident

Batteries for a remote valve control system were overheated in an instrument room. The batteries were isolated, and the side covers of the battery bank opened. One bank of batteries had heated up and started smouldering.

GET THE SAFETY4SEA IN YOUR INBOX!

Probable cause

IMCA reported two factors that led to the batteries overheating:

  • Ventilation to the room was inadequate;
  • There was no regular or adequate inspection of the batteries.

Lessons learned

  • After the incident, the undamaged batteries were checked and no problems were found. All clips on connectors were also checked for their tightness;
  • Batteries of the affected bank were replaced;
  • Advice was sought from the manufacturer;
  • Inspection of these batteries has to be part of planned maintenance system (PMS).