Last IMO Committee, MEPC 79, took place from 12-16 December 2022 establishing a Ballast Water Review Group to consider a number of matters with regards to the Ballast Water Management Convention, among others issues.
Following discussion, the MEPC:
- approved draft amendments to appendix II of the Annex to the BWM Convention (Form of Ballast Water Record Book) with a view to adoption by MEPC 80;
- agreed that the BWM Convention does not preclude the temporary storage of grey water or treated sewage in ballast tanks and that this storage should be permitted, and that guidance should be developed by the Committee;
- approved a unified interpretation of paragraph 4.10 of the BWMS Code;
- approved a revised unified interpretation of regulation E-1.1.5 of the BWM Convention and the Form of the International Ballast Water Management Certificate – both unified interpretations will be incorporated in BWM.2/Circ.66/Rev.4, consolidating all existing unified interpretations to the BWM Convention;
- agreed on core elements to be used for the development of guidance for record keeping and reporting under the BWM Convention and for ships encountering challenging uptake water;
- granted final approval to two ballast water management systems which make use of Active Substances based on the outcome of GESAMP-BWWG 42