The survey was completed by 83 companies, operating approximately 1,775 ships, and the ITF survey was completed by 538 seafarers.
In addition to the protection measures implemented, the survey also wants to inform about the development of best practices for companies and seafarers.
Namely, the survey concluded to the following results:
1. Have you received any information from your company on COVID-19, including its symptoms and some of the standard infection protection and control precautions?
In this question 92% of the seafarers answered ''yes'', while 95% of the companies also answered ''yes''.
2. Have you received any training on COVID-19, and the relevant shipboard plans and procedured of your company?
In this question, only 70% said they had received training. However, in the same question 94% of the companies answered that they had provided training.
3. Are you aware of any specific plan your company has developed and procedures related to COVID-19?
69% of the crew said they are not aware of such a plan, with 93% of the companies responding that they have developed plans.
4. Does your company require social distancing of seafarers who recently joined the ship?
55% of the seafarers answered yes, while 77% of the companies also answered yes.
5. Does your company require the disinfection of areas or surfaces that were touched by, or in the vicinity of, a visitor to the ship?
65% of the seafarers answered yes, and 87% of the companies alsw answered that they do require disinfection of such areas.
6. Are you required to have your body temperature checked and recorded daily while on ship?
40% of the seafarers answered no, with 83% of the companies saying that they have such requirement.
7. Are you required to wear a face covering while on board ship while at sea?
The vast majority of seafarers, 85%, answered no, with 74% of the companies also answering no.
8. Are you required to wear a face covering while on board ship while at port?
In this question 48% of the seafarers answered yes, and 70% of the companies also answered yes.
9. Does your company check on signing seafarers before embarkation?
36% of the seafarers answered no, while on the other hand 64% of the companies answered yes.
10. Has your company arranged to procure additional medicines and equipment for its medical facilities and ships' medicine chests due to COVID-19?
56% of the seafarers answered no, while 61% of the companies answered that they have.