Hong Kong Merchant Shipping Information Note
The Hong Kong Marine Department issues Merchant Shipping Information Note regarding Guidelines for the Implementation of the Hong Kong International Convection for the Safe and Enviromentally Sound Recycling of Ships as follows:
This Note informs that MEPC of IMO at its 62nd session has adopted guidelines aiming to develop the inventory of hazardous materials present on board and the ship-specific ship recycling plan in accordance with Regulation 5 and 9 of the Convention respectively.
1. In 2009, IMO adopted "The Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships, 2009" ("HK Convention"), which aimed at ensuring that both new and existing ships, when being recycled after reaching the end of their operational lives, do not pose any unnecessary risk to human health and safety or to the environment.
2. In July 2011, at its 62nd session, IMO Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) adopted the following guidelines as required by the Hong Kong Convention:
a. Resolution MEPC.196(62) -- "2011 Guidelines for the Development of the Ship Recycling Plan" ; and
b. Resolution MEPC.197(62) -- "2011 Guidelines for the Development of the
Inventory of Hazardous Materials".
3. The main purpose of these Guidelines is to provide with recommendations for the development of a ship-specific Ship Recycling Plan (SRP) and an Inventory of Hazardous Materials in accordance with the requirements of the Convention.
4. The Guidelines as annexed to IMO resolutions MEPC.196(62), MEPC.197(62) and the full text of the Convention (SR/CONF/45) can be found on Marine Department Website at "http://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/msnote/msin.html"
5. Shipowners, ship managers, ship operators, masters and classification societies are advised to note the Guidelines.
Source: Hong Kong Marine Department