These incidents have not been confirmed, but according to MARAD, this interference is resulting in either inaccurate positions or no position.
Exercise caution when transiting this area
In order to deal with GPS problems, US MARAD recommends operators to follow the below steps:
- Reset your device by cycling power to the unit;
- Confirm the settings for your GPS unit or GPS application;
- Refer to your equipment manual;
- Update your equipment software or firmware and GPS mapping software;
- Contact your equipment manufacturer for additional assistance.
If the GPS unit leads people to an incorrect address or is leading people to an incorrect location, the problem is not likely a "GPS" problem, but rather, it is very likely a mapping problem.