To remind, COVID-19 can be transmitted primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.
Except the usual and already known tips of how to stay protected, the Club recommends
- To avoid inhalation, social distancing is advised – a distance of at least 1 metre is recommended by the WHO.
- Better hygiene, such as frequent and thorough hand washing, keeping contact surfaces clean, and less face-touching can help prevent picking up the infection via touching a surface.
In addition, when you are aware that visitors will board the vessel, you may follow the steps below to ensure that you are fully prepared and safe:
- Wipe down with an anti-bacterial solution the areas where the visitor(s) will access and objects they are likely to touch (e.g. sanitise the bridge contact surfaces prior to pilot embarkation).
- Restrict access into the ship’s accommodation – keeps doors locked and post signs warning of no entry
- If you have alcohol hand gel on board, make it ready for use upon entry onto the shipand around the vessel.
- Where possible, have designated toilet and handwashing facilities for visitors – make sure they are well-stocked with soap.
- Try to prepare and complete any necessary documents digitally – avoid handling paper and laminated documents as far as possible.
- Have PPE readily available, such as disposable gloves, for use in unavoidable close contact situations.
To learn more, click herebelow