According to a recent Nautilus International survey, while 88% of the seafarers that responded have internet access at sea, those who do often have limited access at high cost. Taking this into consideration, it is interesting to know what specific services do companies offer at their crew onboard.
Statistics show 91% of UK homes have broadband access and the UK Government recently announced that access to the internet should be a basic right, rather than a luxury.
Yet the survey’s results show that despite 88% of the seafarers responded to having internet access at sea, those who do often have limited access at high cost.
So what services do companies provide to their seafarers?
- 93% – Internet access: This service is considered essential for almost every seafarer that wants to start a career.
- 79% – Access to social media: Social media enables the seafarers to communicate with the shore, but caution is necessary for their excessive use.
- 57% – Personal e-mail: Through the use of their personal e-mail, seafarers are able to attend to their private matters and sort out any pending issues.
- 50% – Satellite phone calls: If a person from the ship wants to make a call to an another satellite phone, the signal is sent to the satellite without a mediator.
- 36% – SMS messaging: Through SMSs seafarers are able to communicate with the outside world quicker and more directly.
Leave a Reply